Oil over acrylic?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it ok to paint oil undercoat over acrylic primer?
…and is it ok to put water based eggshell over the oil?
….or can I just stick to acrylic/water based all the way?
Its on window sills, bannister, doors and skirts. All primed with acrylic so far.

Sponsored Links
Theres nothing wrong with using acrylic for all the coats. You can also use oil based over the acrylic if you wish. You cant rub down the acrylic as easy as it sits on top of the surface and doesn't penetrate the same.

Thanks. Anything wrong with acrylic primer, oil undercoat and water-based top coat? (struggling to find good paint down here!)

Sponsored Links
I reckon acrylic gloss will drag over OB undercoat (especially fresh), could be wrong, i've noticed most acrylic glosses are pretty fussy what they go over the top of, i'd go all OB or all WB.

Im a stick in the mud and don't like using the water based gloss, oil based all the way fro me !! lol

i agree about the oil based gloss being best but was gonna go for eggshell… Possibly the Farrow & Ball new water based one…. Too many options!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back