Acrylic Shelving...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I currently have 3 in wall spaces that I intend to use for display cabinets.

I am debating between glass and acrylic shelving. I like acrylic because I've broken a few glass ones in the past (I'm an idiot) but am worried about it flexing? It also seems cheaper than glass.

For example, cabinet one I would need shelves 640mm x 110mm. Each shelf would hold around 1.5-2kg of weight, relatively evenly dispersed. I haven't decided how or where to support the shelves yet. I literally just have a cabinet shaped hole in my plasterboard wall at the moment.

Would acrylic be suitable for this job? If so, how thick and where would it need to be supported?

Also, would an acrylic sheet be suitable for the front panel of the cabinet? Either decoratively screwed into the wall or on some kind of hinge?

Thank you.

If you need pics to show what I have, no problem.

Sponsored Links
Acrylic will distort, as you say unless its very thick - and its prone to scratching as is polycarbonate.
I'd go for toughened glass for this one.
John :)

Thanks John, to be honest...that's what I thought.

I'm getting quotes locally for around £12 per shelf for the size above. That would be in 4mm or 6mm as recommended by supplier.

Do you (or anyone else) know anywhere cheaper online? I have 3 large cabinet to fill (the other two are bigger than the one mentioned) so it's all adding up.

How would you handle the door to the cabinet as well? Trying to keep it as sleak as possible, room has a modern feel to it. Grey floor, white walls, black gloss furniture.

Sponsored Links
do you mean a glass door?

you could have just a hole drilled in the glass or look up architectural glass fittings.
Personally I'd not use online glass supplies - carriage will be a risk/cost?

it may be easier to find a local glazier who can advise on thickness etc.

Instead of hinged doors, would sliding doors be acceptable to you?
Much easier to fit - no drilling!

Instead of hinged doors, would sliding doors be acceptable to you?
Much easier to fit - no drilling!

Yes, they would be. I assume this would be using a channel on the bottom and top for sliding? The only negative being that there would be a line in the middle if you see what I mean, where the two pieces of sliding glass meet/overlap?

do you mean a glass door?

you could have just a hole drilled in the glass or look up architectural glass fittings.
Personally I'd not use online glass supplies - carriage will be a risk/cost?

it may be easier to find a local glazier who can advise on thickness etc.

Glass or acrylic door, yes.

Yes, they would be. I assume this would be using a channel on the bottom and top for sliding? The only negative being that there would be a line in the middle if you see what I mean, where the two pieces of sliding glass meet/overlap?
Yes, normally there's an overlap of an inch or two but it could be less.
Basically, plastic or aluminium channel is fixed to the bottom and top of the cabinet where you want the glass to be.....the top channel is deeper than the bottom which allows the glass to be lifted out for cleaning.

That does sound easier. How does the extra depth channel work in lifting out the glass for cleaning etc? I can't imagine it in my head, sorry.

say the bottom trough is 9mm deep, the top 18mm.
the glass is the size of the gap between the two edges of the trim PLUS 9mm + 9mm.

The glass is slid up into the top mount and will JUST clear the top of the bottom mount, sitting it down in the bottom 9mm trough for normal use still has 9mm at the top plus 9mm. clearance it's easier in a diagram!

you can buy it in plastic or aluminium. but for a posher action, you can get one where the bottom track has rollers in it.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back