ACS Qualified Plumber looking for a new start in North East

Dont beat around the bush.
Go to trustcorgi site and search local installers. Try Yell.com! If they have no work or use for you themselves they can usually tell you who will.

I couldn't believe what happened yesterday. I walked into a job and the tenant seemed upset because she had no work. I made a few suggestions and sorted out the boiler which only needed re-pressurising. When I walked back through she was on the phone to an employer and had got herself an interview.

You have passed the tests but you do need a little bit more faith in yourself. Be positive. Think positive. Don't focus on crap like needing to get your confidence levels back up

Sponsored Links
He has not worked on his own before and needs experience!

Working on a Council task with others does not stretch or test him and its easy for him to not get the right practical training or experience.

He needs up to a year with a competent CORGI doing gas work to gain the experience. Only with that will he be able gain the confidence!

Its not a personal "lack of confidence in himself" but a lack of relevant experience on the job!

Tony

Why dont you see if British Gas are recruiting trainees in your area, you will recieve on going training and a support procces to ease you into working by yourself in customers home, also you will have van, tools and uniform supplied whilst earning a fairly decent wage I belive around £22,500 for a qualified trainee.

He has not worked on his own before and needs experience!

Working on a Council task with others does not stretch or test him and its easy for him to not get the right practical training or experience.

He needs up to a year with a competent CORGI doing gas work to gain the experience. Only with that will he be able gain the confidence!

Its not a personal "lack of confidence in himself" but a lack of relevant experience on the job!

Tony

I wouldnt say i didnt have experience working alone as such, i mean... ive serviced boilers hundreds of times whilst working with a bloke keeping an eye on me. Ive installed pipework that has later been commissioned by someone qualified once they have inspected it.

i am capable with tools and i know all the things necessary to work safely, i am confident that i would never do anything unsafe etc.

Ive just never worked as a non apprentice which is the problem (except for on my own for family, friends, and randoms who needed plumbing)

Sponsored Links
Its not just what you know its who you know. Hang about in the right places. Gas parts suppliers, Grahams/ curzon, plumb center etc.
Look for a pub with gas vans outside and drop in regular for a pint or two.
When you see a van with a corgi sticker at a garage go and talk to him, don't just think about it. If he cant help you he might know someone who can.
You could make a living out of the jobs I turn down just by walking into a workers greasy spoon cafe and talking to the bloke on the next table. I bet you could do a better job than any of the polish plumbers work that I have seen up your way and I haven't even met you.
You have got your ACS and the experience to go with it. You have made the grade. Now get out there and do something with it! There's nothing to stop you starting up on your own. Join Corgi in your own right. See if you can get a grant from the princes trust or wherever for a van and help with the fees. Give Ravenheat a ring and get on their free training course. I blagged a free course from Vokera by telling them that it was in their benefit if they taught me how to keep their boilers working. Talk to people there. Ask them if they know where theres any work.
The training centre where you took your ACS will get the odd call from people desperate for new employees. Give them a ring and see if they have had any enquiries lately. Ring other training centres. See if they have had similar calls.
The other day I was curious at what this bloke was doing in a van next to a warehouse I was working at. I went and talked to him. Turned out he was installing telemetry systems for the LPG tanks. When I told him I had LPG cert he said he could pass me loads of work if ever I was short of it. Even though I am unlikely to call him as I have too much on already, I wouldn't have known the option was there if I had only just thought about talking to him.
I know you can do it . You just need a kick up the ar$e and I am giving you it.

Thanks a lot for that post mate, really appreciate it. Bit of a boost of confidence.

Anyway today ive had a good day, i went for a test for npower, theory and practical, then if i passed them i was allowed an interview...

i did pretty poor on theory, but even after this time i nailed the practical fault finding for 90%+, which he said was very suprising as he never expected it with me having a year out.

Even if i dont get the job, i made the interview which im proud of..

and at the same time i got speaking to a fella there who said if im willing to travel there is a good chance he could give me work as hes needed a hand lately.

lovely :)@

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back