Newly Qualified, looking for some advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya guys new to the site.

Had a browse and there looks to be a look of valuable information on here that will hopefully help me out in the future if i can get a job in the industry. Which bring me to my question.

I have just passed my ACS exams a couple of weeks ago and am now qualified to work on Boilers, Cookers, Fire & Flue gas analysers. But i am under no impression that i really know what i'm doing and therefore am looking for some advice as where best to look for a job as ringing around and the internet isn't much help at the moment.

I currently live in Southport which is a town near Liverpool; I'd be willing to work in both. I am just looking for a bit of sound advice as to where to starting job hunting as i'm hoping some of you guys might have been in the same boat once upon a time.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Sponsored Links
Hi

What's your back ground? Have you got any experience in the trade at all?

You're gonna find it hard to be honest made, the industry is flooded with new starters. There's a new van or two popping up round my way all the time!

You might find an independant willing to give you some experience but don't expect a living out of that.

You'd be better off with a big company such as British Gas.

Get registered with a good gas based agency and take anything they offer. Expect to be sacked off a few jobs as you may not be what they were expecting - but don't give up. Agencies earn more than they pay you, so will keep placing you if they can.

Rough road but worth it in the end. Keep on at the big boys like manus, BG and the toads like Eon, Corgi and the AA; and grap anything they offer. A day worked is a day paid and more experience - Good luck mate.

Hi

You must be just round the corner from me! I take it you have just been to Southport College to do the NVQ2 and then ACS with Mel. Which Tutor did you have?

I finished my ACS back in May and have set up on my own. I do have prior experience with heating systems and also 20 years electronic/electrical fault finding behind me so I am going down the repair/breakdowns route. Just on with my first full central heating job and then got a couple more boiler swops lined up. I am intending to just hit repair side of things and hopefully a couple of installs now and again.

All the best in finding a job or some work around here and dont be put off with the loads of other heating engineers around Southport.

D

Sponsored Links
thwn go on some of fault finding course and join the combustion chamber you find a link near the top

Just workshop experience at the moment to be honest. I've got a full time job with the council so looking for something steady. Regarding looking for an independent is it best to just ring around and hope for the best?

Rossi; yeah, I did my course and ACS at southport college had Graeme and Rob was in group E. Yourself?

Looking at the big companies to; I'm under the impression they like the level 3 NVQ and part P? Which I'll be doing next year hopefully. But will start looking at those also.

I'll have a looking at trying at getting into the combustion chamber. Cheers.

British Gas,,,,Good employer but my god do not work there if you do not like big brother monitoring you. Everything and i mean everything is tracked. If you CAN work in a pressured environment and perform to there spec, then the rewards can be very, very good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back