newly qualified advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all new to this forum,seems an excellent place for advice,hope someone could help.
For the last year and a half i have been doing my gas.I did my acs about 1 month ago with all the appliances EE,CPA1.I know in most peoples eyes im seen as not experienced and compared to most im not,i have been out with an engineer for the last 1 and half years so i have done some work.
I am finding that every one wants some one with 2-3 years experience but how can you get experience if know one will take you on.Every one has to start some where.
I would be happy just doing meters or just purge and relights until i have been in the industry longer then eventually progress to breakdowns or installs.
I would be grateful for any advice,or if some one has been in my position before.
Thanx for reading

Sponsored Links
Sadly at the moment I would think it is mainly down to how the trade is 'over subscibed' and lack of work, as to why you may not be able to find anyone willing to take you on for experience.

Also you have to bear in mind the question, 'why would anyone local to you want to give you experience when they could be 'training' you to be one of their competitors at a later date'.

I would say the most likely way for you to go would be one of the big national employers.

Thanks for all of your replies.
To Delta T cant get an apprenticeship because i am 31 and apprenticeships are for under 25s.
I have got the impression no one seems to like course cowboys as delta t put it,but i have worked damn hard to pass my acs i wanted a good amount of time out with someone before i sat my acs,at the end of the day you have peoples lives in your hands,i haven't just tried to blag my way through.
Also some of the engineers who are apprentice trained their work is crap no disrespect to any one who is apprentice trained and your work is good,im sure plenty of you have come across bad workmanship they are not up on all the latest regulations,safety and some have no respect for the customer or their property.I know im newly qualified but i could do a better job than some out their at the moment.
Again no disrespect to the good engineers, there are more good ones than bad,i was just making a point

Sponsored Links
Again no disrespect to the good engineers, there are more good ones than bad,i was just making a point

:eek: YOU THINK :rolleyes:

you are experiencing a real problem within the Industry as the Industry has been flooded with fast track Engineers like your self but this is no fault of you or anyone else in your position , I would recommend you try to get a start with one of the big companies like BG or SSE who will employ you as a service only engineer, and use your time wisely , moet of these companies will ask you to perform a "safety Check" rather than a service which involes using a flue gas analyser to determine if a service is required, I would advise you to ignore this and strip the boilers down till you know exactly what is happening inside that big white box, you are getting paid for it after all ,you might not make your bonus targets but you will learn an awfull lot more than sticking a probe in a flue , good luck

It's difficult out there at the moment, it's who you know not what you know! As everyone says one of the big nationals might be your best bet.

please dont (as many have done before you) think.. I know I will go self employed, you will NOT survive on your own with no experience, as already said you need to work for a company for a few years.

I feel sorry for you because you to was told that old chestnut, be a gas fitter 30k no experience needed :LOL: dream on. there are far to many for gas engineers on the dole with more years behind them than you. bad career change sorry.

Iv been a gas fitter for 13years an av had enough to be honest. to many CC & CCCs driving prices rock bottom....

You could also try looking for work experience away from your area as to not pose a perceived threat to local business, eg at least 50-100 miles away.

As said before, the current econimic climate is the biggest thing against any new entrant of any age to any trade, regardless, surprisingly, what ever training centres may promote or even what government says about training schemes.

The governments view is 'get everyone on a training scheme' then 'oh look everbody, unemployment has dropped', when in reality it hasn't.

The only thing that has dropped is the number 'claiming benefit' because they are now not 'officially' unemployed because they are training.

And these pratts of ministers really think we fall for that :rolleyes: :mad:

Good luck anyway and keep trying.

OP

Out of interest, how did you get into this trade? what did you do before? etc...

Andy
I have always done mechanical engineering in factorys.I have always wanted to work in gas but as the years go on and kids come along time just goes by,but last year i decided to take the plunge.

please dont (as many have done before you) think.. I know I will go self employed, you will NOT survive on your own with no experience, as already said you need to work for a company for a few years.
I know i want to work for a company.

I never expected to earn 30k,even if i was earning 250 a week i would be happy because its something i love doing.
As for people saying its the wrong career change,shall i just go on the dole and sit on my arse all day then,even if nothing comes up for me at least i know i have tried.
Just because i havent done a 4 year apprenticeship that means that i can never become a gas engineer what a load of *******S.
I was hoping for positive advice which i have had mostly but to the people who cant give it,why bother,i know the industry is **** at the moment but not every newly qualified bloke is crap,it is just a different way of getting in to the industry.With hard work and determination i know i can be as good as any one else.

have you been on "britishgasacademy" apprenticeship have no age issue

its £16000k you have to pay them to train you tho ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back