newly qualified advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
try RIG energy, see if anythings about. Seems to me you got a reasonable attitude. Dont ever think you know enough, cos you never will. Hang around places like this and learn. Read everything you can, trade magazines, website info etc.. etc... Some of the best engineers around are mostly self taught. Dont listen to the old guys, they've had it easy for years and are now scared they've got a bit of competition. Its called business, get used to it and keep quiet or retire. The industry is fine and healthy. Certain parts of the country have more engineers than jobs, just means you need to stand above the rest.
It won't be easy, but good luck.

Sponsored Links
I gave to agree with DELTA on this one, too many people want to be a gas man / plumber just because of the national press.

But you can say that about any trade.

Some people genuinely want and like the job.

On a plus side, anyone that is prepared to pay several thousand quid, to the training sharks, want it more than some snotty nosed kid who is made to do the course, by job [email protected]

I can only agree with that 'doitall', but there's still 1000s of School leavers trying to get apprenticeships, but our whole trade has been undermined by CC/CCCs. How can bona fide employers employ apprentices and complete with these chancers??!!!

I gave to agree with DELTA on this one, too many people want to be a gas man / plumber just because of the national press.

On a plus side, anyone that is prepared to pay several thousand quid, to the training sharks, want it more than some snotty nosed kid who is made to do the course, by job [email protected]

I can only agree with that 'doitall', but there's still 1000s of School leavers trying to get apprenticeships, but our whole trade has been undermined by CC/CCCs. How can bona fide employers employ apprentices and complete with these chancers??!!!

We are not all chancers Delta! :evil:

Until they bring back proper gov.con apprenticeships it can only get worse.

I got 40 quid a week for my boys, when they did theirs, otherwise I couldn't have afforded it.

Instead of just dishing out dole money, they could make them work for companies as a condition, don't cost the company and the apprentice get his basic salary, paid by the gov.con

Sponsored Links

I got 40 quid a week for my boys, when they did theirs, otherwise I couldn't have afforded it.

Instead of just dishing out dole money, they could make them work for companies as a condition, don't cost the company and the apprentice get his basic salary, paid by the gov.con

Have to ever so slightly disagree with that.

The company always gets hammered. eg your insurance premiums will sky rocket with extra employees, as I found out when I had an apprentice. :mad:

There was not a lot wrong with the old YTS scheme, lots of lads got started that way.

It's never ideal for small businesses. but it helps not paying them a wage for 3 years. and would an extra pair of hands help 4 days a week.

Sadly although many may have gained work through YTS, I know a lot of employers who abused the scheme, just keeping the kids on for the maximum number of weeks that they could pay them the minimum, then swapping them for another set.

There was not a lot wrong with the old YTS scheme, lots of lads got started that way.

The old YTS was good for a lot of guys. But Gov.con prefers to pay dole money as they reckon it's cheaper, and don't consider the long term benefits.

Oh I'm sure you're not, but you are poorly trained, with limited experience & frankly a danger to the British general public.

Your ACS only proves you are competent, but you still lack experence. If you are self-employed with no experience you are a cowboy, no debate!!

Well gentlemen, with the large number of unemployed kids between the age of 18-24 we need to do something.

Sadly although many may have gained work through YTS, I know a lot of employers who abused the scheme, just keeping the kids on for the maximum number of weeks that they could pay them the minimum, then swapping them for another set.

Ah I agree with you, but you must remember there's always a commercial pressure on any small business. And when the YTS scheme was on the go, things were not that rosey in the UK, f4cking hard times then also!!

Well gentlemen, with the large number of unemployed kids between the age of 18-24 we need to do something.
Send them to Uni :idea: then they can have a £20k debt before they get a £200k mortgage for 40 years :LOL: :LOL: Baby Boomers - we`ve never had it so good - Stuff all the others ;) We built this country on smoke, mirrors and unbridled greed - Rule brittania

Oh I'm sure you're not, but you are poorly trained, with limited experience & frankly a danger to the British general public.

Your ACS only proves you are competent, but you still lack experence. If you are self-employed with no experience you are a cowboy, no debate!!

Whilst my experience may be limited compared to others,I know my limits.
My LIMITED experience was gained through bloody hard work and graft.Going out with a gas engineer, evenings and weekends, unpaid for nigh on 2 years.Only when the gas engineer thought I was ready, I went for and got my ACS, first time.

In regards to your comment about being a cowboy.
Yes i am self employed, but that is through my choice and my cicumstances at home.I do not consider myself to be a cowboy.Have been to many a job where customer says oh its serviced by mr 30 years experience, and what I find is a total disregard of the regs.
Probably mr 30 years thought he was above the law and would carry on regardless.In my eyes that makes HIM the cowboy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back