newbie questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

was wondering if anyone could offer some advice as where to start once through college and ACS exams, I'm doing ccn1, cenwat, cpa1, and ckr1 over a year at college/work placements.

worked last year with local council breakdown/repair engineer working on central heating systems so changing rad valves/rads, commissioning appliances, replacing parts on boilers, motorised valves etc.

went back to college for a bit after that and now out working again with another company, doing installs mainly combi to combi changes. For half the work placement I'll do this then other half I'll be doing servicing and repairs.

anyone got any tips on best way to get started after through exams and newly qualified, eg is it easier when newly qual to get service engineer jobs or whatever?
Quite like doing installs and wouldnt mind getting into that,

any advice much appreciated

cheers

Sponsored Links
If you enjoy repairs, get qualified then try for a job at a boiler manufacturer. Vokera, near you and probably as good as any!

thanks for the reply mate, don't know if I've put this in right forum or not but any other advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
cheers for that positive reply there bud, I'm a young guy at 25 don't fancy setting up on my own with only a years experience would prefer to work at a company alongside experienced guys for a bit

the older boys can't work forever and new guys coming through need to be trained up to high standard to avoid skills shortages in future, i was only posting asking for any advice on best way to start my career as gas installer

dcawkwell i know way things are at the moment with jobs tight etc so was just looking for any pointers on starting out at a tough time :)

If you want to do servicing probably best to try local authority or SSE or BG or the likes and try for a placement as a service only engineer but dont expect to learn a lot as you will just be FGA testing boilers, if you want to do installs there are a few large companies that are always looking for installers

thanks ian, I quite fancy doing installs tbh, a lot of that work now is combi to combi changeovers and seems to be plenty of work through local authority and private as well as companies subbied onto council contracts

by end of my training i'll be confident at installing combis and fires cookers etc, and have more servicing / breakdown work to do before getting my tickets its just trying to think about which way to go once I am qualified.

I like the install side of things as i find servicing a bit tedious and replacing parts the same so like to be hands on installing appliances

Why not start off doing installs there is nothing to say you cant change to doing servicing if you feel you would rather do that or vice versa, I know lots of excellent gas engineers that worked on installs till mid 30s when our knees gave in then went on to service and breakdown

thats exactly what i was thinking to do mate, knees are a bit dodgy from football when i was younger so try do some installs make some money hopefully work hard till my knees start to wear away then change either servicing/breakdown :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back