26yr old plumbing student from Leeds looking for experience

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all my name is Mark and I’m currently studying a level 2 course in plumbing at Leeds College of Building.

This is my second year at college as i have already passed a services engineering course in my first year. It was quite an easy course for me which covered mostly plumbing, but also went into working with iron, electrics etc. The main thing that the course did for me was make up my mind 100% that i want to pursue a trade in plumbing and heating.

The course I am doing this year is the level 2 Diploma in plumbing, but after the course I’m hoping to move onto the level 3 in gas/heating. To do this the Diploma is not enough and I would need to get the full NVQ. To get this I need to have 4 pieces of work (2 central heating and 2 bathrooms) signed off by an assessor on site. The only way I’m going to be able to do this is by working with somebody on site where I can further my experience, knowledge and confidence.

As previously stated I live in Leeds, but hold a full clean driving license so I can travel. I also work 3 days a week at the minute as well as attending college, but i am hoping that if I do find a placement I can quit my current job and do what I enjoy and get out there into the big scary plumbing world lol.

I would quite happily work for someone for free as a trial run, as this will give the person employing me an idea if they think I have potential and that i am actually useful!

This is so important to me to try and get to where i want to be with my future and to make something of myself as I have just been stuck in my current job for 8 years and it's going to get me nowhere.

If anyone reading this can't physically help me get into work, but may know some one who can then please leave some details or PM me.

Thanks, Mark.

Sponsored Links
thx m8 appreciate it :)

even if ppl have any tips where to ask and who to try would be grateful

If you were in London or Coventry then I could give you unpaid work experience, possibly with free food and accommodation.

But getting a paid job will be very difficult for you.

When there are so many east european highly experienced plumbers who are quite happy with £6 an hour, they would often be the obvious choice compared with a student trainee!

Tony

Sponsored Links
so much of getting a job in this industry is to do with attitude rather than knowledge...

what a sole trader will be looking for is not the same as an employee

The qualities a sole trader looks for will include

the ability to anticipate what happens next, providing the right tool or fitting ensuring that the boss is kept working
the ability to keep busy and if has a bit of down time does something to lower the burden on the boss, from tidying the tools or the site to the van.
is willing and to an extent subservient and can accept orders and a bit of grumpiness.
have a naturally understanding of plumbing and heating systems...

not many of these qualities are taught...some of them are personal, although we are regularly demonised in the media there are qualities that are needed which are rarely found in people..(and thats just for the worker, never mind dealing with clients!)

sadly the best workers I have seen are not educated through the UK educations system, and do not buy into modern culture to any great degree...

Your post reads well, write a few letters to local companies and if they take the time to read it they might well be interested. You are unfortunately going to be hindered by your location - the North East seems quiet in the trade and has been for some time - but standing out by presenting yourself well will give you a great chance.

Keep trying and good luck!

I was also impressed by your post and if you were in my area i'd have no problem giving you the work experience you need and possibly some wages if you were useful to me. Most of the emails etc I get from college attenders leave alot to be desired.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back