Plumber training courses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I would like to start training as a plumber this year and have been offered several courses with a college and training centre.

I can do a very basic course ( not city and guilds) cost £600

City and guilds Level 2 diploma 6035 72 weeks part time
but it costs £3600

or

City and Guilds Level 2 basic plumbing skills 6129 1 year part time (cost unkown yet)

what do you think . Im really interested in plumbing and have some basic technical skills but I am in my late 40 s.

steve

Sponsored Links
You have not told us anything about your employment or lifestyle or why you want to do a course. Or what you have done before.

Plumbing is a totally practically based activity. You cannot go on a course and become an instant plumber!

Having been on a plumbing course does not get you a job! Nor is plumbing very well paid! Typically £14k-£24k as employed.

Without that info I cannot really give you any useful advice except that getting practical experience on an unpaid basis might be a far better alternative to an overpriced course which will give you little benefit.

Tony

Buy van put sign on van.
Presto you are a plumber. Wouldn't worry about the courses.
Just buy a couple of good DIY books.

Also you tube is a great source for doing different type of jobs.

Toms tips, ultimate handyman.

I think it depends on how serious you are about becoming a plumber. I did the C&G level2 a few years back but it's a bit like driving - doesn't matter how many lessons you have, it's totally different when you are on your own.

Personally I think C&G2 is enough to become a basic plumber. Also, joining a class gives you a bit of confidence and is handy to have other people you can discuss things with. Keep their telephone number when the course ends. You can always ask eachother for advice.

I was lucky in that I had done a lot of DIY plumbing before the course but wanted to learn to do it the proper way. I also diverse into tiling, decorating, floor laying and general problem solving so when there's little plumbing jobs around, I can still get work.

Also take into account that as a plumber you need a shed load of tools apart from basic plumbing tools.

All that said, if you are a practical person, like solving problems and can deal with the public then go for it.

One other thing and I think others on here will agree - it's not a nine-to-five job. Even if you decide to only work nine-to-five, you will be working in your head all evening and most of the weekend.

Good luck whatever you decide to do mate.

Sponsored Links
I think it depends on how serious you are about becoming a plumber. I did the C&G level2 a few years back but it's a bit like driving - doesn't matter how many lessons you have, it's totally different when you are on your own.

Personally I think C&G2 is enough to become a basic plumber. Also, joining a class gives you a bit of confidence and is handy to have other people you can discuss things with. Keep their telephone number when the course ends. You can always ask eachother for advice.

I was lucky in that I had done a lot of DIY plumbing before the course but wanted to learn to do it the proper way. I also diverse into tiling, decorating, floor laying and general problem solving so when there's little plumbing jobs around, I can still get work.

Also take into account that as a plumber you need a shed load of tools apart from basic plumbing tools.

All that said, if you are a practical person, like solving problems and can deal with the public then go for it.

One other thing and I think others on here will agree - it's not a nine-to-five job. Even if you decide to only work nine-to-five, you will be working in your head all evening and most of the weekend.

Good luck whatever you decide to do mate.
Hi
Thanks for the tips and help I have behind me nearly 5 years of being a plant fitter (repairing engines, vehicles etc) also I have studied electronics and achieved some city and guilds certificates. Im always fixing things around the house so im willing to learn. I have a job at present but its not me really and I want something with a challenge and better pay hopefully. I think im going to try the level 2 course at the college and see how i get on.
thanks

steve

Hi Skelo

I am in exactly the same boat as you were. I have just been made redundant and looking at doing something completely different for a career. I am 32 so figure time is on my side. I am currently doing a 10 week introduction to Plumbing at CTS in Norwich. I was then hoping to do the Diploma Level 2 (6035) over 72 weeks at a cost of just shy of £4,000. The option after the Level 2 is then I guess the NVQ qualifications at an even bigger cost.

May I ask what you did in the end? Did you do the level 2 diploma? Where are you in your training etc.? Any advice you could give me would be great!

I had a visit from 2 reps from Trades Gateway trying to tempt me into one of their courses which involves loads of home study, and then weeks away at one of their centres in Watford. The cost was £6,000 to go all the way through to NVQ level 3 (which would be a darn site cheaper) but something about them and the company doesn't sit right with me. Cant put my finger on it!

Thanks

Stu

Buy van put sign on van.
Presto you are a plumber. Wouldn't worry about the courses.
Just buy a couple of good DIY books.

Also you tube is a great source for doing different type of jobs.

Toms tips, ultimate handyman.

Yeah, flood a few houses & then try to get PL insurance!!!

£6K is that what a cowboy course costs??!! Bloody el!! Nobody employs course cowboys now, too much of a risk.

Pay me £6K & I'll take you on & pay you national minimum wage for two years. I'd make you a better Plumber/Heating Engineer than any of these daft courses.

Yeah I don't think I will go with them.

I believe I still need to do at least a level 2 to become a plumber? Is that correct?

Stu

If i was you I'd move to Lanarkshire and take Richard up on his offer.

If you've got £6k to spend give it to him and let him train you.

Those courses are a waste of time. You'll come out and still know sweet F.A. But be £6k worse off.

I believe I still need to do at least a level 2 to become a plumber? Is that correct?

Stu

Level 2??!! A four year apprenticeship mate & your still not a Plumber, better mind you than a Mickey Mouse course, but I'm still learning after 40 years in the trade. Every day is a Skool day...... ;)

If he starts with me it's a 6.30am start & if you don't have the boiler & rads on the wall by 10.00am you know it's going to be a long, long day!! If we're working in Aberdeen we kip in the van..... ;) When the going gets tough, the tough get going!!!....... :LOL:

Stu

Level 2??!! A four year apprenticeship mate & your still not a Plumber, better mind you than a Mickey Mouse course, but I'm still learning after 40 years in the trade. Every day is a Skool day...... ;)

If he starts with me it's a 6.30am start & if you don't have the boiler & rads on the wall by 10.00am you know it's going to be a long, long day!! If we're working in Aberdeen we kip in the van..... ;) When the going gets tough, the tough get going!!!....... :LOL:

Is your van kitted out with running water, wash hand basin, wc, vanity mirrors etc?

I bought an ex BT van once and it had a wash hand basin fitted and hot and cold water to the taps.

So the BT worker at the end off an easy day could wash his hands.
(If he ever got them dirty that is)
Not sure where he went for a dump though. Probably plastic bag in the rear and then flail it across some ones lawn. :LOL:

Stu

Is your van kitted out with running water, wash hand basin, wc, vanity mirrors etc?

I bought an ex BT van once and it had a wash hand basin fitted and hot and cold water to the taps.

So the BT worker at the end off an easy day could wash his hands.
(If he ever got them dirty that is)
Not sure where he went for a dump though. Probably plastic bag in the rear and then flail it across some ones lawn. :LOL:

Oh yes, the back of the van is well kitted out; king size bed, hot tub, full kitchen & 50" plasma. Amazing what you can get into the back of a Kangoo!!
Oh oops, I forgot to add the snooker table.

I would give it a miss OP

U should expect to be put up in a hotel 4 star would do

blimey the thought of spending the night in a van with a load of hairy a***d scots :eek:

Best keep your hand over your watsit I say

:D :D :D

I would give it a miss OP

U should expect to be put up in a hotel 4 star would do

blimey the thought of spending the night in a van with a load of hairy a***d scots :eek:

Best keep your hand over your watsit I say

:D :D :D

Oh, did I not mention the man-on-man action is part of the job???

apprenticeship

The only real way to be a plumber

Course = handyman
Expensive course = Gas engineer!!!!
Actuall hard work, time and experience = Plumber

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back