Plumber Training -intensive courses ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Saw following Plumber training being offered in 13 weekly modules.

Building Trade Skills Centre:
http://www.btsc.co.uk/
http://www.btsc.co.uk/learn.htm
http://www.btsc.co.uk/courses.htm

says "Become a City & Guilds plumber in months not years !"

Not sure if they're just a private training company or industry body training centre, which they suggest.

Over phone they are keen to offer interview, but don't seem to want to
discuss "contribution towards the partly subsidised training"

I would guess cost would be around £500/week, total £5000-£6500.
There are a number of places that do intensive training courses like this.

Anyone heard of this place ??
What do you think of training to be a plumber this way ??

Sponsored Links
Answer to question 2 = :mad: :LOL: I`ll sell you my C+G tickets from 1974....maybe you`re too young ;) :oops:

Nige F said:
Answer to question 2 = :mad: :LOL: I`ll sell you my C+G tickets from 1974....maybe you`re too young ;) :oops:
That was 30+ years ago when Britain was Great & we still had a manufacturing industry & a house was a few thousand quid.

Times & training schemes move on ??

Just want to see what you guys know of these training companies ??

I'm dubious.

I cant answer your question but im interested in any answers ....i presume im in the same boat as u i.e mortgage and need my present job to pay for it but would love to retrain...without giving up my job till i can earn similar amount.

Sponsored Links
they are as good as any

and only as good as to how many time served plumbers they can convince to gove you the on the job experiance

As far as I can tell the fast track certs are not overly respected in the trade, My guv tells me he gets about 10 applications a week from fast track lads which he just bins, he really dont like them.

I dont want to be a party pooper but plumbing is stuffed to the brim with plumbers at the moment, wages depressed, work getting harder to find, more legislation than ever to contend with AND a huge amount of foriegn labour to compete with

Is it really such a good plan to get into it, there is no way you could command the amount of money that a mortgage and a family needs to survive!!

but if you do decide that its a great life good luck to you I wish you well

corgiman said:
......Is it really such a good plan to get into it, there is no way you could command the amount of money that a mortgage and a family needs to survive!!

but if you do decide that its a great life good luck to you I wish you well
It's not that serious an idea with me.

I'm 40+ & work(worked) in IT industry, but that is notorious for being ageist.
Skills/experience are overtaken (made redundant) by new technologies & companies like to employ younger/cheaper/keener people with latest skills.

I know that plumbers are facing similiar issues with foreign labour.
Retraining at 40+ into plumbing, I'd probably have to be mad.

There are similiar IT Training companies that offer home retraining courses that promise the earth.

-& I know IT retraining isn't as easy that,
just like retraining into Plumbing is nothing without the experience !!

An ex-IT chap in my road, 43, has just started doing a fast-track course leading to NVQ2 in a few months. Seems to be doing a couple of days at the training place then a break then a test...

He's been doing it a couple of months now. He's doing bathrooms, changing rads etc. He's already booked 3 weeks ahead, charging £320/day, £1250/week.

thats just raised my eyebrows.....can see the world and his wife doing plumbing though.....my problem is im stuck on nights in a warehouse....theres got to be more to life than that!!!! oops thats my moan 4 the day

nah, too dodgy. running around with them long poles. not long before you have some frekkers eye out. or worse yer own.... :D

I`ve just had some carpets fitted , this guy was earning 1000 a week easy , no regs to comply with no competent person schemeto join and no bull **** .

arf

arfurrrr said:
I`ve just had some carpets fitted , this guy was earning 1000 a week easy , no regs to comply with no competent person schemeto join and no bull s**t .

arf

But have you ever tried fitting carpet? Its flippin difficult... ;)

London is cheap @ 350 a day :LOL: :LOL: Youll be lucky to get that in a week in Sussex :rolleyes:

arfurrrr said:
I`ve just had some carpets fitted , this guy was earning 1000 a week easy , no regs to comply with no competent person schemeto join and no bull s**t .

arf

But he's only 25 and walks like he just got off his horse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back