Work experience request in London and Kent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning folks

I am writing to you regarding the possibility of working alongside a qualifed plumber as an intermediate experienced trainee with either a plumbing and heating sole trader or small plumbing and heating firm and would like to present myself here briefly:

My name is Martyn, I’m 33 years of age and live in Dartford, Kent. I hold a full and clean UK driving licence, have my own car for transport and my own tools.

Plumbing employment experience:

I have already had experience working as a plumber at an intermediate skilled level. I worked for a small building firm based in Sevenoaks and Tunbridge Wells called Runcorns Ltd and as an installer and maintenance plumber for another small plumbing and heating firm called P&R Installations which was working within the social housing sector and housing association who P&R had contracts with. All of the above work took me all over Kent and London which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Plumbing training:

I had previously studied at a skills centre based in Southampton called ‘New Career Skills’ which the training was similar to the City & Guilds 6129 format but unfortunately only realised after the course that this centre, although the training staff were experienced, were not an affiliated City & Guilds approved training provider. Although I did get a certificate from the Open College Network to inform me I passed, this wasn’t an industry recognised qualification i.e. the City & Guilds 6129.

I did, however, get a portfolio of evidence from the work I did with this training provider and sat an exam to pass for the Water Regulations certification which I took through Bpec - so I at least know that this was industry recognised.

This plumbing course allowed me to work for the two small firms mentioned above but only by completing the City & Guilds 6129 and the NVQ Level 2, will I be totally confident that I’ll have all the necessary skills before trying to gain the NVQ Level 3.

I am now signed up to a course with a training provider called ‘Able Skills Ltd’ who are based in Dartford, Kent. They are a recognised City & Guilds training provider with a very good reputation. With these guys, I am currently doing the City & Guilds 6129 Technical Certificate and like the training I received from ‘New Career Skills,’ I will be paying for this course from my own personal funds because there is no funding for mature students.

So I hope that you can see that I am committed to learning the trade and gaining my formal qualifications so that I can be useful and employable in the future.

I am a quick learner and very much enjoy problem solving of which I have had to do plenty of in my past jobs. I am very good at communicating with customers and clients and also my team mates. I need very minimal supervision but if I need advice I will always ask. I enjoy being part of a team but equally I can work from my own initiative and self-esteem. I have a great sense of humour and am very passionate about the job I’m doing and providing a professional service as reputation is everything.

I’m also looking to sit the test for the Construction Skills Health and Safety test (CSCS Card) between May and June 2012 so that this enables me to work on non-domestic site work as I appreciate that some plumbers and engineers may do site work.

I’d be very grateful for the opportunity to demonstrate my commitment and skills both on the tools and person skills so if you would consider a day or two for me to come out on a job with you I’d be very grateful.

I am currently employed full-time in a non-plumbing job and am required to give 3 weeks notice before I can start work with a firm although I maybe able to start sooner. I appreciate that I’m not currently employed as a trainee plumber at the moment but still get to practice my skills by doing small jobs for family and friends to keep my knowledge going.

Thank you for taking the time to read my letter requesting some work experience with a qualified plumber and if you feel that you would like to meet in person to discuss my request further before coming out on the tools I’d be more than happy to do so.

Please contact me at: [email protected]

Best regards and I look forward to hearing from you.

Martyn

Email: [email protected]

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back