Advice on Joining the Gas Trade

Sponsored Links
PS I did a boiler repair last week for a GP. They have average earnings of £95,000 pa. Dont you think thats a better profession?

Seems like you read the same press that says all gas fitters and plumbers earn £50-60k a year. :LOL:

PS I did a boiler repair last week for a GP. They have average earnings of £95,000 pa. Dont you think thats a better profession?

Seems like you read the same press that says all gas fitters and plumbers earn £50-60k a year. :LOL:

That is reasonable isn't it?, at the lower end anyways. gp ave is 110k by the way but who's going to quibble about 15k??

Sponsored Links
Trouble is that they count all GPs as the same. bit like lumping in plumbers, people running a plumbing business (which employs mulitple plumbers) and someone running a plumbing merchants and dividing it equally to get the average "plumbers" wage.

I'm seriously looking at changing careers from IT and becoming a domestic gas engineer, and was looking for any words of advice.

:eek: :eek: don't do it :!:

If you still have these weird thoughts Then I advice you to check this site www.samaritans.org 24 hour confidential emotional support

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Why is it that all the gas qualified people I know have a very different outlook about the industry to all the negative people on forums like this????

Why is it that all the gas qualified people I know have a very different outlook about the industry to all the negative people on forums like this????

Cos there are a lot of doom and gloom merchants on here, happy to do the job themselves but feel the need to put anyone else off from learning the trade. :)

I am not a gloom and doom merchant but I would say that i am realistic.

I have seen so many wannabees who have no idea of what really needed to become experienced and think that a CC and the next week they are earning £65,000.

Tony

Yep, being realistic helps, all those who think it's a get rich quick job or easy or the answer to all their problems will have a shock, but again if someone wants to do it bad enough then they will achieve it.

I think the main thing is trying to make sure it's the career for you because just reading about it and doing exams is a lot different from doing it day in day out, speaking for myself if I could find a job where I could earn as much but with less hassle I would do it, but wouldn't we all? - but until then I continue doing it and try to make the best of it and be happy doing it, if thats possible, depends on the person I suppose. :)

Plumbing is a bit like IT in a way.

A few years ago there were shortages of people qualified for either industries. Before long, companies set up to train plumbers and computer engineers/programmers etc. and they were being churned out in their thousands.

My local college produces about 150 C&G qualified plumbers a year.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that there is a shortage of either any more. For instance, about 1 in every 4 vans seems to belong to a plumber or heating engineer!

I actually quit my job in IT last year after having been a systems developer for 6 years! You are right in thinking that the plumbing game is a whole lot more difficult and sometimes/most of the time a lot of hassle, but for me I'd definately rather that than being chained to an office desk 40+ hours a week :mad:

My local college produces about 150 C&G qualified plumbers a year.

yeah then they get out into the real world and start learning :rolleyes:

and don't blame the industry it was your goverment (and mine at the time) that reckoned there was a skills shortage for what that lot are worth

now all of a sudden we need loads of people in it till the bottom falls out of thet

in the 70s it was brickies

I could be wrong, but I don't think that there is a shortage of either any more. For instance, about 1 in every 4 vans seems to belong to a plumber or heating engineer!

Where I live I can hardly drive two miles without seeing at least another four plumber/heating engineer vans during the journey.

Sitting at traffic lights is like sitting in a plumbers merchants car park.

Only other 'trade' that has more vans round my way is landscape gardeners.

In my local paper in which I advertise last night there were 13 plumbers/heating engineers and 19 landscape gardeners advertising.

In the past you were lucky if there were seven plumbers advertising however in the past year and a bit there have been as many as 17 in any given week.

The guys who jumped on the 'apprentice' bandwagon have an awful lot to answer for.

Only good thing is that all of those who dived headlong into the trade will be off like rats up a drainpipe once reality starts to really bite.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back