Plumbing & Heating Professionals....help please.

The point I was trying to convey was that now, at the tender age of 29, I love my job, I love running a business (apart from the sodd1ng paperwork); but I couldn't do it now. I could not afford to pay rent/mortgage for a flat or a house. My wife wouldn't put up with it.

If I want to retrain I would have to choose a career that I could learn whilst earning the money I earn now; as every penny I earn is needed to pay the bills. As it happens I have a Career change planned and that is going to require me learning both the day to day and archiutectual sides of one of the hardest languages in the world; needless to say it will not be for 15 to 20 years or so. Until then I will be plodding along as I am - unless something horrible happens.

I got no help or support apart from the money I earnt which had to pay the rent, bills, beer, food, fuel and student loans!

wayneski, we are not telling you not to change (well, some of us anyway) careers; but every time someone asks the question you did we get the same comments:

No one will take me on.
I need to pay the bills.
I am technically minded.
Why are older trainees not wanted?
I can't get on an NVQ course.

The absolute classic is:

"I worked in the IT industry so I am very good at fault finding."

You're not alone, you're not unique - and that's your problem.

You have to rise above these if you want to get ahead of the pack.

Sponsored Links
I was in a similar situation to you 4 years ago, after 16 years as a junior school teacher. Always been 'Mr Practical' so not as big a change as you may think. I did NVQ2 in Domestic Heating and worked 4 dyas a week for very basic wage with local plumber. Now self employed, done OFTEC etc and enjoying life. Where are you located? Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but not read every posting...

DC

leakydave said:
I was in a similar situation to you 4 years ago, after 16 years as a junior school teacher. Always been 'Mr Practical' so not as big a change as you may think. I did NVQ2 in Domestic Heating and worked 4 dyas a week for very basic wage with local plumber. Now self employed, done OFTEC etc and enjoying life. Where are you located? Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but not read every posting...

DC

Good on ya leakydave

(though it may be an idea to change that handle to DOESNTleakydave or soundasapounddave)

:):):):)

Sponsored Links
leaky dave, as in chippy steve or sparky bob. I don't intentionally have any leaks, but it happens to the best of us!

well I will tell to a secret if you promise to keep it to yaself

I was called leaks as an apprentice and then after a really unfortunate incident I was for ever after known as Floods

:(

remember keep it schtum

lmao

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back