Newly Qualified Engineer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, im a newly qualified engineer and have been out on my own for 6 months now. Im finding the job very stressful (i.e many of the breakdowns) and have just found out about this site. Is there any other engineers in the same position as myself. Some of the boilers out there are driving me bonkers and i am simply pulling my hair out everyday. I can diagnose most system faults e.g choked cold feed, pumps, zone valves but its some of the combis and new condensing boilers that get to me! heres my worst: Ideal Isar and Icos. Glowworm hxi and cxi. Alphas always seem to leak and i hate them. I like Vokeras and pottertons in general.

Just wanted to get this off my chest and see if anyone is in the same situation.

Sponsored Links
Saying "from BG" implies you work for British Gas but that does not seem to be the case.

You say you are "newly qualified" but what does that mean? Just have CEN 1 ? That only means you are safe to work on gas!

What training and background do you have to repair boilers?

Tony

I am Corgi registered. passed my acs last november. Had 1.5 years intensive training with British Gas. Maybe ive said too much already. I think i am doing not bad but i am having some reallly bad days. Ive got a lot to learn.

Welcome here. Usually a helpful bunch. Search facility only seems to work on single words though.
Join ARGI, there's a members only forum which you might find useful. Also see Gas-news, good search facility and if you go into the "Tree Structure" you'll see some boiler specifics.

Sound like you've met the Alpha StyleFF then :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I dont know exactly what your BG training involved but it sounds as if it was mostly the ACS stuff and probably not much boiler diagnostics.

I dont think you should be terribly surprised. It takes about 3 years full time on repairs to become experienced enough to be reasonably confident on the more difficult models.

You could probably benefit now from some of the makers training courses but you will have to do some travelling!

Tony

Im not surprised as i knew it was going to be hard. Its just a case of trying to not let it get to me.

Its a really rewarding job when things are going well though. My training was mainly acs stuff, safety,safety,safety. But learnt a fair amount on fault finding when i was out with my mentor (journeyman). I feel this site could be a great help if i get quick enough replies at nights before going back to the job the next day or two after. (Or is this a bit ambitious?) The other engineers are a great help over the phone as well. Overall i would say BG are a great company to work for and we generally get a lot of support.

If say in 5,6 or 7 years time i decided to start up on my own, would i earn a lot more money or is it not really worth it?

We have all misunderstood you!

You are still working for BG !

You get a lot of backup from within your company so you should only need to ask us when your people dont know!

Nice to hear someone who enjoys working for BG !

Tony

Yes i still work for them.

Surely i cant be the only one who likes working for BG?? I cant see how it would be any better with other companies?! Being self employed has its appeals though, i could turn away the really crappy jobs or quote a big price to make it worthwhile.

I have to do roughly 7 to 10 breakdowns a day so i do get the odd job where im stuck at and nobody else is able to help/advise therefore this site would become very helpul in those instances. Is this ok or am i not welcome to do this??

Some of us might feel uncomfortable giving free technical support to BG! Especially after the way some of their advertising tried to rubbish independent gas engineers. Nevertheless I think most of us would treat you as an individual rather than a minion of BG, but it might be best to drop the from BG bit of your name.

Is this ok or am i not welcome to do this??

You are most welcome.

See seem like a nice fella.

Be aware that BG get slated on here on a regular basis, but don't take it personally.

I would agree with chrishutt, drop the BG

Enjoy ;)

My experience is that if you give a bit of help then people will try to help you. I believe there are BG employees on here as regulars already. Most of the time BG helps keep the prices up!
I would advise you drop the BG from your name too, otherwise folk might moan at you for something some BG guy did for them...

Im trying to change my name but it doesnt seem to be working. :confused:

I think BG gets a bad name due to a few 'bad apples'. Theres over 5000 engineers nationwide and a lot of those are fairly young like myself. Im 22 but look about 17 and i feel like some customers judge me before im even in the door asking if i know what im doing before i even get the boiler case off. Its a bit disheartening at times. Im sure soon enough itll be water off a ducks back though.

We were all 22 going on 17 once, and some of us can just about remember how difficult it was to be taken seriously by older people, so I expect we'll be sympathetic. You've done well to come on the forum and talk candidly about your situation. Nothing us old timers like better than showing youngsters the ropes (makes us feel useful), providing they don't come loaded with attitude (see Bamber Gaspipe for example), which you obviously don't.

Simplest way to change your name is to re-register as Paulnotfrombg or something. :LOL:

providing they don't come loaded with attitude (see Bamber Gaspipe for example), which you obviously don't.

Nice to see you falling all over yourself to help a newbie Chris,contrary to your earlier statement about newbies.It would seem a few have taken notice & are changing their ways, or at least pretending to for now, well done & welcome to Paul ;)

I thought most BG engineers wereissued with laptops. From the BG engs i know, these contains not just your job sheets but most of the faults all the engineers have come across complete with symptoms and remedies.
Lee

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back