Add a light into an existing circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

In the process of boarding my loft, and want to get two strip lights up there.

Currently have a Nuaire Drimaster 2000 up their, thats wired into the upstairs lighting circuit (4 ceiling roses), and is 'always' on. I have noticed that it has two cables coming from the box that it is powering from.

I want to leave the DriMaster in, and if possible, take a feed of this connection to run my two strip lights.

Is it as simple as putting a 4 way junction box in, and wiring up as per diagram in the sticky at top of this section?

How do I wire each strip light to the next strip light, so they both come on with the switch?

Regards

Sponsored Links
I also assume that I should hang the lights from some form of short chain, as fixing to a combustible material cannot be a good idea?

Any idea how to do this?

Ta

There is number of ways you can do this.
You need a a live, neutral and cpc (earth).
If the lighting circuit is looped at the ceiling roses it would be possible to take a feed from there.
Or if more practical you could take it from the supply side of the drimaster.
If you use the standard 1.00mm twin and earth, the live, neutral and CPC can be run to a standard switch.
From the switch to the light you would also run a live, neutral and cpc, again this can be by using 1.00mm twin and earth.
At the switch connect both brown conductors of the cable to the switching points com and L1 then CPC to earth terminal and joint the two neutrals (blues) in connection block, so they are terminated together.
For both lights to function of this switch, simply connect the fitting up with the cable from the switch to the correct terminal on the fitting.
Brown to live, blue to neutral and cpc the earth terminal.
Then from that first fitting connect another length of cable between the two fittings terminating the cable at both lights as above.
Brown to Live
Blue to Neutral
CPC to Earth.
So you will have two cables terminated at the first light one from switch and the other going to second light.
Remember to safely isolate circuit and prove dead using an approved voltage indicator. Also sleeve the bare conductors of CPC with yellow and green PVC sleeving.
View media item 41403old colours
red=brown
black=blue
yellow/green=yellow/green

You would be better of running a new live/line neutral and earth from one of the existing ceiling roses through a switch and onto your two lights.
You wire the switch with the supply live to the Common, the neutral to a terminal block and the earth to an earth block.
From the switch you wire the load cable with the live to the L1, neutral to the neutral block and earth to the earth block.
At the first light - live to live - neutral to neutral and earth to earth.
Run another cable from the live at the first light to the live at second light - the same for the neutral and earth.
Using T&E 1mm2.
You don't need to 'hang' the lights - there shouldn't be a problem fixing them to the roof beams.

Sponsored Links
I also assume that I should hang the lights from some form of short chain, as fixing to a combustible material cannot be a good idea?

Any idea how to do this?

Ta
Normally the tube fittings come with a spacer or can be self spacing to prevent heat being dissipated to the wooden rafters, if you are concerned about the potential hazard, you could consider fitting plaster board around the area you are fitting to then fix the fittings.
Normally loft spaces are restricted for headroom, so hanging from chains my cause another hazard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back