Add light to fused spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
this (see image, the white switch) is in the garage, powering the alarm panel.

what do i need (switch wise) to convert this to supply a pir led security light over the garage aswell?

thanks

Attachments

• switch.jpg
    switch.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If it comes directly from CU, I assume 6A breaker?
Then you could take a second cable from the supply side of the fuse connection or even spur from the breaker at the board.
Then if 6A device you could just install an inline two pole switch, where the line conductors and neutrals are switched, this would then continue to the light fitting, and line to live and neutral to neutral terminal, also do not forget to keep the CPC/earth continuous through out.
You can use 1.00mm2 twin and earth on 6A device, but if cable is to be left exposed externally to environment, then you would need to use a suitable flex/cable for that part of circuit.

Sponsored Links
this (see image, the white switch) is in the garage, powering the alarm panel.

what do i need (switch wise) to convert this to supply a pir led security light over the garage aswell?

thanks

By convert do you mean get rid of the alarm panel? If so change the FCU to a switched version and wire the light to it. If the FCU is on a 6 amp circuit as some believe just replace it with a normal switch as the FCU would be unnecessary.

yeah idea is to keep the alarm panel, running off the FCU and supply the light

I wouldn't. Why would anyone put a FCU on a 6 amp breaker?
There is already one there, you best ask why the alarm installer put one there? I was using FCU as terminal for live feed on supply side.
So the OP could either use what already exists or spur of the breaker at the board. On this instance I did not suggest installing a FCU, just utilising it

The discussion regarding the use of FCUs on low amp circuits has already been discussed, in previous topics.

But they is no regulation preventing the use of them.

By convert do you mean get rid of the alarm panel? If so change the FCU to a switched version and wire the light to it. If the FCU is on a 6 amp circuit as some believe just replace it with a normal switch as the FCU would be unnecessary.
And replacing would be unnecessary, you are creating work that is not required and not best advised. There is no requirement for the exclusion of FCUs on a 6A circuits.

I have never MI which say put a FCU on a 6 amp circuit.

One reason for having a FUSED connection unit is to provide an assured disconnection by removal of the fuse to assist in ensuring the safety of a person working on the equipment.

yes, bernardgreen, that is the use out of it now. allows easier installation etc of the alarm panel at the point of work.
yes, PrenticeBoyofDerry, I was looking if I could use whats there, take a wire off the FCU to the light

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back