Fitting a switched light off a socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this is covered elsewhere - I just can't seem to find the specific details anywhere.

I'm looking to install a PIR-controlled lamp at my front door, with a conventional lightswitch as an over-ride. I've got a power supply courtesy of a socket on the other side of the wall (in the garage). I've previously put a switched spur and run a security lamp off it, but would rather use a conventional lightswitch in this instance. However, this obviously doesn't have the protection of the fused switch.

Should I be looking to put a fused spur in the garage and then carry that through to power the switch and light in the house?

Cheers for any help,

Dan

Sponsored Links
Should I be looking to put a fused spur in the garage and then carry that through to power the switch and light in the house?
If you want to install a conventional type rocker switch, you would indeed need to take a fused connection unit (FCU) from the socket outlet, down fuse to 3-5A.
Then install you switch after the FCU.
This method of installation would mean that the neutral conductor would be going to the switch, so the neutral from the light would then be directly terminated, using a terminal block. and the line (live conductor) would be terminated across the switch terminals.

Yes that's fine. Supply an unswitched fused spur fitted with a 3A fuse from the socket, and then wire up your light with a standard light switch as per the lighting diagrams in the DIYnot wiki.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back