Add new radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I need to add two new rads to my system, because the floors upstairs are all plywood with hardwood flooring I need to cut into the ceiling in the kitchen to add a rad, I know where the pipework runs is it ok to add in a tee piece the run the flow and return down to the kitchen where there is no rad, there are no other pipes near that I can cut into, also can two rads be added into the pipes that I drop down, thank you

Sponsored Links
Sounds OK.
If you're running a single flow and a single return pipe down for the 2 new rads, you need to pipe them in parallel, not series.

thank you, will that just mean two pipes down then tee off for each rad they are either side of a wall.

Put a tee into the flow pipe that runs through ceiling. Run 15mm pipe down from this tee and connect to the flow sise of one rad, them continue this pipe to the flow side of 2nd rad. Same with retun pipe - tee from return pipe in ceiling, pipe down and connect to both return sides of rads.

Sponsored Links
Thank you that sounds great, is there anyway when I first drop the pipes down through the ceiling that I can use a shut-off valve as a temporary measure, be good for future maintenance etc can a normal shut off valve be used, thank you Paul

If it's only temporary, I would just put a couple of push-fit stop ends on the pipes. If you want to keep a means of isolation for these rads for future use, I would recommend using full bore lever valves. These don't restrict the flow when open.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-ball-valve-blue-15mm/11085

Not recommended to use standard isolation valves as used on taps, cisterns, etc. These aren't up to the job, and even when fully open, they restrict the flow quite a bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back