Added underfloor heating, how to control

mbc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just added a wet underfloor heating system to my house that has a worcester bosch floor standing boiler. I would like to run this underfloor area indepently to the house and on a seperate thermostat. I cannot get my head arround getting the boiler to call when either zone is on.
Do I simply wire in both thermostats to the boiler terminals. If I do one to the boiler and then one to a zone valve, this would be no good as the boiler will not call when the main area is up to temp.
So do I have this right. 2 zone valves, 2 thermostats (one for main house and one for underfloor area), both zone valves orange wires to the boiler.
If one was calling would it affect the other valve that is not calling?
Hope this makes sense.

Sponsored Links
You just connect the underfloor as a seperate zone with its own timeclock and thermostat.

One assumes, but it may not be the case, that you have fitted a proper UFH system with its own circulating pump and temperature control valve ???

Before embarking on UFH you should have made yourself aware of the disadvantages and particularly the long thermal time constants and lack of proper control.

Ideally you need a complicated predictive control which monitors the outside and inside temperature and delays the start up time accordingly. Then as they get close to the target temperature the flow is reduced to reduce overshoot !

Depending on the UFH installation they can take up to two hours to reach the required room temperature and they then overshoot !

UFH works best in libraries and old peoples homes or for retired people who are at home most of the time so it can run all day long. Not much good for anyone with unpredictable working hours.

Tony

Thanks for that, although you did not answer my question, you simply waffled on about on about obvious stuff. The underfloor system is for very large room that will need constant heat 24 hours. Radiators are not suitable as they do not supply an even heat. So wet underfloor is the best option.
Fuzzy logic controllers will get around the problems you have mentioned.
I was questioning the actual connections, not the system. I have figured it out, really easy stuff. I should have been a heating engineer instead of a rocket scientist.

You just connect the underfloor as a seperate zone with its own timeclock and thermostat.

One assumes, but it may not be the case, that you have fitted a proper UFH system with its own circulating pump and temperature control valve ???

Before embarking on UFH you should have made yourself aware of the disadvantages and particularly the long thermal time constants and lack of proper control.

Ideally you need a complicated predictive control which monitors the outside and inside temperature and delays the start up time accordingly. Then as they get close to the target temperature the flow is reduced to reduce overshoot !

Depending on the UFH installation they can take up to two hours to reach the required room temperature and they then overshoot !

UFH works best in libraries and old peoples homes or for retired people who are at home most of the time so it can run all day long. Not much good for anyone with unpredictable working hours.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I am now sorry that I bothered to reply.

Connecting the controls as another zone is so simple and easily found on the Honeywell site.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back