Addind a Spur from a Boiler Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just moved house and find that there are no electrical mains sockets in my hall way, the only electrical feed is to the central heating boiler that is a fused switch. Can I add a double socket spur from this point? Its fitted into the wall, so I am presuming that it comes from the fuse box.

Alternatively, I would have to run a cable from the fuse box round the back of the downstairs toilet and through the wall, approximately 4-5 metres. If I do this should a conduit always be used or can I just attach it to the wall. The previous owner has already run a cable without a conduit in the same place to feed the garage from the fuse box which is situated in the downstairs cloakroom/toilet, about 4 metres away from the toilet.

Also as an another alternative could I run a cable from the existing cable (above) by adding a junction box to this cable to reduce the amount of exposed cable in the downstairs cloakroom/toilet and then put it throuogh the wall to add my double socket?

Hope there are not too many questions to answer but I need a solution.

Many thanks

Kathryn

Sponsored Links
Your question is like asking the length of a piece of string as there are so many factors which could effect the suitability of every option.

A boiler feed could be just 5A on the other hand it could be part of ring main.

To run a new feed from consumer unit would likely cost too much to DIY with LABC Part P charges but would likely be good option for registered electrician.

Any hidden junction boxes have to be the maintenance free type and there is always the problem of cutting cables only to find it's a spur already and you can't use it.

Conduit is used to protect cables from direct sun light and physical damage but without seeing where it is to be run can't really say if required or not.

Of course All new sockets will need RCD protection and where this is not already provided there can be a problem especially where cable is buried less than 50mm and protection is also required for cable. Ali-tube cable and RCD sockets may be answer?

Once done then it will need inspecting and testing this can also be a problem with DIY work.

Thanks for replying,

If the boiler switch is 13amp, could I do it, the sockets are primarily only to plug the phone and modem into.

The other cable mentioned goes directly into the fuse box/consumer unit?

Is it compulsory to add an RCD to a spur, I assumed that it would already be protected at the box in conjunction with the boiler?

Kathryn

If the boiler switch is 13amp, could I do it,

The switch will be rated at 13A but (for a boiler) the fuse will probably only be 3A or 5A. DO NOT CHANGE IT or the boiler/control circuitry will fry if u have a fault.
The other cable mentioned goes directly into the fuse box/consumer unit?
It may do, but what is the cable size & what is the fuse size?
Is it compulsory to add an RCD to a spur, I assumed that it would already be protected at the box in conjunction with the boiler?
It may have an RCD at the consumer unit. Has it? Otherwise one will be needed to protect the socket and/or the new wiring.

Sponsored Links
The fuse in the fused boiler switch has a 13amp fuse in it, it also has two sets of wires, one going to one side and another set to the other side. I also noticed that running through the back of the box is an electic cable that runs through but does not appear to connect to the switch. It would appear that the cabling to this switch either goes up or comes down from the airing cupboard and is connected to the immersion heater in the same way, via two cables. I'm assuming that this is all part of the ring circuit?

The cable connected directly into the fuse box feeds a couple of double sockets in the garage.

I don't understand the bit about it having to have an RCD, it would be just an addtional socket connected from an existing one?

The fuse in the fused boiler switch has a 13amp fuse in it, it also has two sets of wires, one going to one side and another set to the other side.
It would be better with a 3A/5A fuse in it for the reasons TTC highlights.

I don't understand the bit about it having to have an RCD, it would be just an addtional socket connected from an existing one?
The current edition of the wiring regulations requires that RCD protection is provided for socket outlets in these circumstances.

Is this circuit already protected by an RCD at the consumer unit? Is so then an additional one wouldn't be required.

I will have to check when I get home, but from recollection the fuse box is quite old probably from when the house was built in 1986, there is only one on/off, with the fuses located under a removable cover.

The other cable I mentioned that was added at some put coming directly from the fuse box and going outside and into the Garage with the double sockets has left with an external RCD plugged into it presumbly for their lawnmower to be plugged into.

So, basically you are saying it is ok to go ahead with the boiler switch option providing an RCD is used?

there might be a better way

Your hallway (presumably) runs beside a room, or between two rooms.

Are there any sockets in these rooms on the other side of the wall between hall and room?

the other side of the wall is the downstairs cloakroom and the wall opposite where I need the plug is a kitchen wall. There is no way without taking a cable up and over doors and around walls.
The fuse box is located under the stairs which is part of the downstairs cloakroom but on the opposite wall, so I would have to run a cable several meters in length all around the back of the loo before drilling a hole in the wall to fit a socket in the hall on the other side. I guess this is why the previous owner did not bother.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back