Adding 1 way switch from 2 way circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First off, don't shout at me - I've been through the FAQ and the wiki!

A basic question - can I take power and add in a 1 way switch to control a light (live, neutral, earth) from a 2 way circuit junction box with blue, red, yellow and earth in it, or do I have to take it from the nearest light fitting?

I think I'll have to take the live and neutral from the light but the junction box is a lot closer so hoping I can take it from that...

Sponsored Links
Junction box accessible for maintenance?

If the jb is a two way wiring system as it seems to be, given the colours of the cable you outlined, then it is likely that you do not have a neutral at the jb.

You would be better off running the new light from an existing ceiling rose's live neutral and earth.

Very easily accessible but it looks as though it has been added only as a break in the wiring. Maybe they ran out of cable and wanted to join two together?
Anyway, it looks as though I'll play it on the safe side and go to the ceiling rose.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
First off, don't shout at me - I've been through the FAQ and the wiki!
Including the articles on how 2-way switching works?

And you still think we can tell from your description whether that cable is a 2-way strapper or one which has a neutral in it?

Nope, didn't expect to know anything from the description other than what I described. People aren't clairvoyant so if additional info was required, which it doesn't appear to be, I expected it to be asked for. I did say that I expected that I didn't have the required neutral and would have to take it from the light which was confirmed for me.
I read the articles in the wiki a couple of times but as normal, real life isn't a wiki entry and the wiring is different in appearance so I apologise for not giving you the precise and exact information you required after my question was answered.
I might just point out that I also mentioned it looks as though it was added as a break in the wiring maybe to join two sections of wire together so you can probably imagine what that looks like - a jb with wires in to the terminals and exactly the same configuration going out. As if someone was joining two sections together really...
All who helped out, many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back