Adding a 1.5cm filler section

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to install sliding wardrobe doors, similar to these:
1699370796524.png

The doors require an opening which is 2260 in height but there are adjusters on the doors that can cope up to 2270.
My opening is currently 2270 at one end and 228.5 at the other end. Also, the bottom runner is going down on the carpet at this time but if I ever replace the carpet, I will want to take up the runner and screw it to the floor board.

I think this means that I will need a small filler section at the top of this door. Could I stick a section of 12mm plasterboard across this width and then screw the top runner to this? Are there any drawbacks to this approach and will it end up cracking along the join with the ceiling?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I’d be grateful for any advice on this please. Thanks

Use timber, not plasterboard - it has no strength. Check the floor is level - some of the height difference might be a sloping floor.

Use timber, not plasterboard - it has no strength. Check the floor is level - some of the height difference might be a sloping floor.
The floor is not level but I will need to follow the carpet as else there will be fillers visible on the floor and the runners wont be smooth as all the weight will be bearing down on the track.

On the small plasterboard section at the top, I was planning to screw it to the roof joists and when I screw the top section of the door in, that ca also go into the joists. I don't think I am relying on the strength of this plasterboard piece. It's there as a mere filler and when its painted, will look the same as the rest of the framing for the door. That was my thinking.

Sponsored Links
On the small plasterboard section at the top, I was planning to screw it to the roof joists and when I screw the top section of the door in, that ca also go into the joists. I don't think I am relying on the strength of this plasterboard piece. It's there as a mere filler and when its painted, will look the same as the rest of the framing for the door. That was my thinking.

It still needs to be strong. Plasterboard will crumble, use timber, or possibly a plastic moulding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back