adding a 3 way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im currently adding a 3 way switch in the upstairs hallway. There is already a switch at the top of the stairs and one at the bottom which work 2 way with each other for the landing lights. The drawings below are the wiring of the current switches.
The one on the left is the downstairs which has one 3 core cable in and the one on the right is the upstairs which had x4 cables which are x3 red singles and the 3 core from the other switch. Both switches are 1 gang with a c, l1 and l2. The switch i am adding is 1 gang with a c, l1 and l2 and i have ran a 3 core from the upstairs one to feed it. I have also brought an intermidiate switch to replace the right hand switch in the picture. Can you tell me how to wire the new switch and the new intermidiate switch which will be replacing the switch on the right. Thankyou so much for your kind help.

Sponsored Links
The red and yellow on the R/H switch when replaced with an intermediate will need to go to two terminals on one side of the switch, the remaining two terminals being connected to two cores of the 3C+E (it is 3 core + earth, right?). At the far end of the 3-core, these should go to L1 and L2 on a standard 2-way switch.

The two reds currently shown in the common terminal on the R/H side of the drawing will need to be removed and put into a piece of terminal block along with the remaining core of the 3C cable, which should then connect to common on the newly installed 2-way switch at the far end of the cable.

Hope that makes sense without pictures.

chockblock2wi1vcyt4.gif

still no luck, ive put the 2 red singles that were in the common in a block with the grey from the 3+e which goes to the common on the new. The intermidiate switch has l1 and l2 on the top and a l3 and l4 on the bottom. Ive put red to l1, brown to l2, yellow to l3 and blck to l4. The original red to the blue in a block is still as it was and on the other new where the grey is in the common ive got brown in l2 and black in l1 but its still not working correctly?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back