Adding a ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

A couple of years ago I posted this question on the forum:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=96198

(about how to add a outside light via a twin socket spur in a garage) I'm pleased to say that it still working today, so I'm back for more help! :)

I now want to add an additional ceiling light (i.e rose) in my hallway, am I right in using the same methods, cabling, fused switch etc as last time i.e.....

1) 2.5mm twin and earth from single mains socket to fused switch

2) 1.5mm twin and earth from fused switch to ceiling rose fitting

Does that sound right?

Do I need flex or twin and earth for indoors?

many thanks!

Sponsored Links
oh boy... :rolleyes:

no you don't use the same method..

you put the light off the lighting circuit..

I take it that this new light is to be independantly controlled from any others in the vacinity?

and you use 1.0 or 1.5 T+E indoors for lighting..

be more specific about what you want and what the local conditions are ( ie floor boards acccessible, nearby light etc ) and we can help more

LOL...

OK, oh boy?! not the encouraging start I hoped for, but thanks for getting back to me :)

I take it that this new light is to be independently controlled from any others in the vicinity?

Yes, because I'm a novice, I thought it would be easiest, and still safe to take a feed from the nearest source, in this case an unused socket.

Be more specific about what you want and what the local conditions are (i.e. floor boards accessible, nearby light etc) and we can help more

It's a bit to explain, but the area of hallway I’m trying to light up a bit more sits under the landing/ stairs and is immediately outside the kitchen door, which is creating quite a dark area.

Access is limited as the floors are carpeted or laminated, there is a wall switch a good few feet away from the area where I want extra light, which controls the light upstairs and the other hallway light downstairs, but I don’t really want to start chasing cables into the wall having cables draped over door frames or pulling up the flooring, hence using the socket, which I didn't know was there until yesterday (so well placed to hide the bulk of the cabling), and because it's hidden away the cabling will hardly be noticed.

Ohh, and yes, for ease of use I would prefer to have a separate switch for it.

My first thought was the lighting circuit, but I can’t find an easily accessible lighting circuit source.

Sounds like what you want is one of those new fangled lamps with 3 pin plugs on...

(Joking aside getting something like an uplighter would save you a lot of hassle)

Sponsored Links
3 pin plug
3 amps fuse
0.75mm² 2 core flat flex
architrave switch
clips for 0.75mm² cable
ceiling rose...

enjoy..

otherwise it's pulling up the first floor floorboards or if you're lucky you can fish it from the existing ceiling light and wire them in paralel, but that doesn't give you the seperate controll you want..

do us a photo of the area you want the light, the plug you found, the existing light, and the area between the 2.. and a diagram of the layout would help..

This forum has a WIKI that includes answers to most of the often asked questions.

So we dont have to continually write the same answers over and over and over and over again.

Check it out here: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

PS please use the quote button when referring to another post. It makes it easier to read:
like this...

thanks for getting back to me

Cheers

3 pin plug
3 amps fuse
0.75mm² 2 core flat flex
architrave switch
clips for 0.75mm² cable
ceiling rose...

enjoy..

otherwise it's pulling up the first floor floorboards or if you're lucky you can fish it from the existing ceiling light and wire them in paralel, but that doesn't give you the separate control you want..

do us a photo of the area you want the light, the plug you found, the existing light, and the area between the 2.. and a diagram of the layout would help..

Thanks for getting back to me! Does it make any difference if the power supply is coming a single socket? as apposed to a twin socket which is what I was dealing on my last project.

Looking at the shopping list its looks like the sort of thing I was I imagining, basically extended table lamp, with a ceiling rose on the end.
:)

makes no difference whatsoever. it's only a plug... and since you only just realised it was there, you won't miss it..
make sure you fit it with a 3A fuse though..

and if you're using the 2 core cable, you can't have metal switch or light fitting...

makes no difference whatsoever. it's only a plug... and since you only just realised it was there, you won't miss it..
make sure you fit it with a 3A fuse though..

and if you're using the 2 core cable, you can't have metal switch or light fitting...

is that because there's no earth in the 2 core? I have the ceiling rose, which says a Max 60w bulb, does that still stand? not that was expecting to use 60w, probably energy saving bulb.

max 60W is the heat rating that the lampholder can take before it gets damaged..

60W is about 0.3A...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back