Adding a dimmer to downlighter setup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post here... so here goes.

I have recently added 4 downlights to a fireplace renovation so they light up two alcoves (2 in each). The 4 lights have been chained together as per the instructions using 2 wires (have used 3 core wire, but isolated the bare metal wire out of the circuit.).

I have run this inside the false wall down to a 13amp plug hidden away in a cupboard. Switch the power on.. bingo lights work!

Have now added into the drywall a single gang backbox, and have purchased a single dimmer that I would like to add into the curcit, but I am unsure which wire should go where into the dimmer.

Sponsored Links
Assuming you have used new coloured cable, the brown wire should be broken and the supply leg into C or the one with a wiper symbol, and the feed leg into the other.

The 4 lights have been chained together as per the instructions using 2 wires
What size?

What is the rating of the fuse in the plug?

(have used 3 core wire, but isolated the bare metal wire out of the circuit.).
I do so hope you maintained continuity of the earth all the way through, even if it wasn't needed at each light.

I have run this inside the false wall down to a 13amp plug hidden away in a cupboard.
You've put twin & earth cable into a plug? :eek:

Also the route sounds like it could be illegal - please read these. and if it's not right please sort it asap.
Have now added into the drywall a single gang backbox,
Same rules will apply to the cables connected to that.

and have purchased a single dimmer
Is it compatible with the type of lights you've got?

Don't forget it must be earthed.

I am unsure which wire should go where into the dimmer.
Do you not think that taking the time to properly learn how to do all this before starting on it, rather than plunging in and asking questions as you go would have been a more sensible approach?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back