Adding a double socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, first time posting so please be gentle :)

Just a quick question i want to add a double socket to a bedroom which currently only has one double socket, i have taken the front off this socket to find 3 sets of twin and earth so im thinking it would be abit silly to add another set, so can i just find another socket upstairs which only has two sets of wires in and run my new socket from this with 2.5 twin and earth? is there any regs on the lenth that i can run this wire ie if the socket i want to run from is in a front bedroom can i run the spur to the back beroom to the new socket any help would be very muchly appreciated

Sponsored Links
There are volt drop considerations if the length is very long and/or the load is very high. But in a regular house there's no problem.

The existing socket sounds like there is a spur off it already so not a good candidate to add another spur - even if you could wrestle 4 sets of conductors into the socket.

You could just extend the ring. See the WIKI
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:extend_ring

can i just find another socket upstairs which only has two sets of wires in and run my new socket from this with 2.5 twin and earth?
No, because seeing 2 wires does not tell you that the socket is on a ring - it might be a spur with another spur running from it, which is already wrong, and should be removed, not made even worse.

You need to understand how rings are wired, and to have and know how to use test equipment so that you can confirm that the two cables you find at a socket are indeed a ring.

Thank you very much for your replys, ban-all-sheds upstairs in my house there are only 3 double sockets 1 in each of the 3 rooms plus a 4th socket in the hall way which is a single I know you shouldn't work on probability but the chances that two of these being spurred off of one socket is very small no? Even down stairs there are a limited number of sockets

Sponsored Links
You would be surprised what people do when they are wiring/adding to wiring.

We don't assume. It's reasonably easy to test if you have a multimeter.

Thanks for your help with this in light of your suggestions I have decided to do the following 1) Get out yellow pages 2) Get a professional round to take a look, he is coming round the weekend to do some testing then we will go from there thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back