Adding a fused spur - best way?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have my boiler in a lean-to attached directly to my house - (house has just been refurbished and is very recently wired and signed off as safe)

I would like to put a washing machine out there as well but there is no plug?

I would like to know the best way of adding one (I am not going to do it but would like to make sure I use the most economical, safe and easy way).

Would it be legal to drill a small hole through the wall and plug the washing machine the other side of the wall (i.e in the kitchen)

Or should I add a fused spur to the boiler circuit (its on its own ring) or does the boiler have to have a "boiler-only" ring?

I have done the plumbing just need to wire the washing machine in.

Also my cooker is installed by way of a 13 amp plug below worktop level with a fused switch above worktop level.

Is it possible to tell the amp rating of the kitchen ring main? Do the different colours on the board mean anything?

I dont want to overload anything!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Boiler don't use much juice, what is the amp rating of the main board fuse for the circuit?

Once this is confirmed you should check the load requirements for both the boiler and the washer and provided they are under the amp rating of main board fuse you should be ok to add a socket to the circuit.

A fused spur isn't really right, since cutting the plug off the washer could infringe the makers warranty.

As for the cooker on a plug, is it a separate circuit or a part of the main kitchen socket circuit. You need to confirm this by switching the breakers off at the board and seeing when and what dies when you turn the breakers off.

Easiest way would be to drill through wall, pass appropriate rating flex through the wall, attach to 13amp plug in the kitchen & trailing socket in the lean-to. This would allow the washer to unplugged in the lean to.

As for a fused spur...
Is it a gas boiler? If so, then the circuit may only be rated for the heating control (and ignition).
There are more knowledgable folk on here with regard to this than I...

Sounds like the cooker has ended up with 2 fuses...

Sponsored Links
The rating of the circuit will be marked up on the MCB that protects the circuit, it will also be on your electrical installation circuit, that was passed on to you when signed off, under schedules of tests.
It is okay to drill a hole in the wall and put the flex and plug for the appliance to a nearby outlet, not something I would recommend though.
I would personally extend the ring, rather than spur to the washer.
The boiler does not need to be on it's one circuit, I doubt this is a ring final circuit, if just supplying power to the boiler. Likely to be a radial circuit.

May I ask why, if you have recently had the house rewired, you did not make provisions for this items?

Don't know why everyone is going around the houses here!

Trickymicky - just spur ,(no fuse required), off the back of a socket (ring final) and run the cable to a single socket for the washing machine - and if you feel confident, there's nothing wrong with doing it yourself.

Don't know why everyone is going around the houses here! Trickymicky - just spur ,(no fuse required), off the back of a socket (ring final) and run the cable to a single socket for the washing machine - and if you feel confident, there's nothing wrong with doing it yourself.
Would spurring off a kitchen socket (into the 'lean to') count as 'work in a kitchen'?

Kind Regards, John

If you do electrical work in the loft over the bathroom, is that notifiable?

If not, then yes, the spur in the kitchen is.

If you do electrical work in the loft over the bathroom, is that notifiable? If not, then yes, the spur in the kitchen is.
It took me a bit of effort to get my head around that one :) - but, anway, I don't really know the 'intended' answer in either situation - which is why I asked the question. What is your view?

Kind Regards, John.

Good question, John.

If the OP removes the face of the socket, drills a hole through the back of the socket and through the wall, then fixes a socket outlet on the other side of the wall and connects the two sockets together......is it deemed to be working in a kitchen??

Ordoes working in a kitchen mean fitting accessories etc. in the kitchen itself??

Good question, John. If the OP removes the face of the socket, drills a hole through the back of the socket and through the wall, then fixes a socket outlet on the other side of the wall and connects the two sockets together......is it deemed to be working in a kitchen?? Or does working in a kitchen mean fitting accessories etc. in the kitchen itself??
Quite!

It's all very well, and inevitable, that the Wiring Regs will have to leave some scope for interpretation, discretion etc. However, in the case of Part P, it surely behoves legislation which determines a dichotomous decision (notifiable or non-notifiable) to be as clear and unambiguous as possible .... which it clearly isn't! It's like having a criminal law which the public cannot work out whether they're breaking or not!

Kind Regards, John

Now this really depends how you read the guidelines.
The installation of fixed equipment is within the scope of part p, even where the final connection is by a 13A plug socket. However, work is only notifiable if it involves fixed wiring and the installation of a new circuit or extension of a circuit in a kitchen/special location/special installation.

So is it extending a circuit within the kitchen or extending a circuit of the kitchen.
Surely if it was of the kitchen, this could mean, if a RFC was serving say a kitchen and separate dining room, that altering the circuit within the dinning room was also altering the circuit of the kitchen!

Now this really depends how you read the guidelines.
The installation of fixed equipment is within the scope of part p, even where the final connection is by a 13A plug socket. However, work is only notifiable if it involves fixed wiring and the installation of a new circuit or extension of a circuit in a kitchen/special location/special installation. So is it extending a circuit within the kitchen or extending a circuit of the kitchen. Surely if it was of the kitchen, this could mean, if a RFC was serving say a kitchen and separate dining room, that altering the circuit within the dinning room was also altering the circuit of the kitchen!
Exactly - it's all just about as clear as mud :)

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back