Adding a light in the loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm thinking of adding a light in the loft. But would like the switch to be where the landing light switch currently is, and turn this into a 2 gang switch.

Currently the landing light is a 2 way. And behind the switch it's wired up as

L1 -
Black (Brown tape)
Blue (Brown tape)

L2 -
Grey (Brown tape)
Brown

Com -
Brown

Earth cables are connected to the back plate.

Which would be the best way to wire this up?

I can access a ceiling rose in the attic so take the power from, but not 100% on the connections at the landing switch. I have done this many years ago but i've totally forgotten the correct way.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Sponsored Links
You will need to take a feed, ( permanent live ,neutral and earth )
from the upstairs lighting circuit ,and add a switch cable down to the switch position. If you intend to use a basic pendant / rose light fitting in the loft the connections can be made there between the feed cable and the switch cable.

Thanks for the reply.

So something like this would be fine?

Junction box in the attic, or would it be best to take it directly from the ceiling rose?

And then feed a cable to the switch in the landing, change this to a 2 gang and as above for switch 1 and switch 2 would be as below.

0392d621c21de4ae2db32f18e4da59fe

Yes . But the diagram shows a supply to the next light ,and of course you wouldn't have a cable going to another light ! Just the supply ,switch cable,and load cable ( to the light )

Sponsored Links
You might have trouble getting the wires from the attic to the switch?

What I would do is get a plasterboard back box and insert it in the ceiling - probably near the hatch.
Then fit a switch that included a neon to indicate on/off. That way, if you leave the loft and realise the light is on, a loft ladder pole could switch it off.

I have my switch just facing me as I go up the ladder to the loft. Easy to take a feed from the upstairs lighting circuit.

Thank you. Yes i have managed to get the cable into the switch (plasterboard walls). But the switch going up would have been my next choice if i could not get that cable in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back