Adding a light to a two way switching circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a light in the top landing which is wired for two way switching from the top and bottom landing.

I would like to add a light to the bottom landing operated from the same switches.

Anyone have a diagram for two lights running from a two way switching circuit?

I presume I will need to run cables from the top light to the bottom light. Is this correct?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Yes, leave the switching as it is. All you need is a two core & earth cable from light on the top to the bottom landing.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I was hoping it could be added from the downstairs switch as opposed to running cables from the top landing light.

See attached.

Thanks

Attachments

• Switch.jpeg
    Switch.jpeg
    40 KB · Views: 121
I have a light in the top landing which is wired for two way switching from the top and bottom landing.

I would like to add a light to the bottom landing operated from the same switches.

Anyone have a diagram for two lights running from a two way switching circuit?

I presume I will need to run cables from the top light to the bottom light. Is this correct?

TIA

Yes, Live (switch wire), Neutral and Earth, directly from the top light, to the bottom one.

See attached.

Thanks
The switch wiring confirms that you cannot connect the additional light to that switch. There is no neutral connection there.
As previously discussed, you’ll need to cable from the existing light to the new one. Sorry!

Or, of course if easier, you could just have a new light and second switch downstairs which is the usual set up.

Cable from light to switch and either from CU to switch or light.

Or, of course if easier, you could just have a new light and second switch downstairs which is the usual set up.

Cable from light to switch and either from CU to switch or light.

But be wary of borrowing a neutral from one circuit, to use on another - downstairs and upstairs circuits need to be kept completely separate, which ever live you use, you need to use the neutral from the same circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back