Problem with two way switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Problem with two way switches on our staircase. The staircase has three ceiling lights (one at bottom of stairs, one mid stairs, one on top landing). There are two switches. One at bottom of stairs and one on the top landing. The bottom stairs switch will turn on the bottom stairs light but not the other two lights. The landing switch will turn on the landing light and the mid stairs light but not the bottom light. If the bottom light is turned on, the landing switch will not turn on the mid stairs and landing lights but it will turn the bottom light off.

My problem is I want the switches to turn all three lights on and off at the same time. It did work that way until I had the plasterer replaster the landing and he disconnected the switch boxes to do so. I’m assuming he has rewired it incorrectly but he insists he put them back the way they were. Any help would be much appreciated.

Pictures of the bottom switch and landing switch below.

bottom_switch.jpg

landing_switch.jpg

Sponsored Links
At the bottom switch, swap the red and black wires, so you have both reds in one terminal, and black & blue in the other terminal. Yellow stays the same.

Thanks for the suggestion. It put all three lights on together but the bottom switch will not turn off. The three lights stay on no matter whether the bottom switch is on or off. Landing switch will turn the mid and landing off but no control over bottom. It stays on no matter which position the bottom or landing switch is (ie on or off).

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back