Adding a light to a two way switching circuit

Sponsored Links
Ok.

Where would this borrowed neutral be in what I wrote?

You wrote- 'Or, of course if easier, you could just have a new light and second switch downstairs which is the usual set up.

Cable from light to switch and either from CU to switch or light.'

Which a complete amateur could assume from that any neutral would do - if you do not make it clear. As I am sure you ought to be aware there are multiple neutrals in every consumer unit. The might even find it easier to pick up a neutral from the downstairs lighting circuit, as he wants an additional light downstairs.

Even the so called professionals, do often make the mistake of 'borrowing neutrals' from other circuits, the wrong circuits.

Sponsored Links
You wrote- 'Or, of course if easier, you could just have a new light and second switch downstairs which is the usual set up.

Cable from light to switch and either from CU to switch or light.'

Which a complete amateur could assume from that any neutral would do - if you do not make it clear.
I don't really understand what you are getting at.

Obviously if he chooses to fit a new light and switch, all conductors must be connected to the correct place.

Obviously if he chooses to fit a new light and switch, all conductors must be connected to the correct place.

Possibly so, but perhaps not. What is your objection to my making it perfectly clear that borrowing a neutral from another circuit is wrong?

Ah. I have just twigged what I think you mean.

Not technically a new circuit so I should have said "don't do it if you don't know what you are doing".

How can you borrow a neutral when installing a new circuit?

Quite easily. I would expect the OP to want to swap the 2-way switch for a 2-gang and thus pick up a live from the existing 2-way circuit which will likely be on the upstairs circuit. Then OP would then be looking to find a neutral to take to the new ceiling rose downstairs - what would be easier for him than to pick one up from the nearest downstairs light? Alternatively, he might well decide to pick one up from the CU - just any neutral.

No, that's not what I said.
My interpretation of your post; run a T&E from CU to either light or switch and run a T&E between light and switch.

That's not what you actually wrote though and others have apparently interpreted differently. Having read recent posts I Personally don't see how others have done that but we've all seen what the inexperienced (and for that matter some of the experienced) can incorrectly install...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back