Adding a new internal doorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my projects is to add what was an optional doorway between my lounge and kitchen, the original buyers decided they didn't want it, my girlfriend has decided she does. The doorway is marked X near the top below - you can also see the other door (which is there) into the lounge at the bottom of the image

View media item 49199
It's 100mm blockwork and from what I can tell not supporting, the upper floor is shown here with the approximate position of the doorway (in line with the stair wall at the bottom of this picture) which is in the bathroom. The sleeper walls under the lower floor all run perpendicular to the wall into which the door will be cut.

View media item 49200
Assuming I'm correct, what kind of support do I need above the frame for the small amount of blockwork above it, I assume just a wooden beam will do or do I still need a lintle? As for the frame itself am I better screwing the jambs directly to the cut away blockwork, or putting in a stud frame too?

TIA

Sponsored Links
If its not supprting anything above, just put a piece of 4 x 3 timber in as a lintel. Easy to fix plasterboard to it for skimming.

Just screw through the jamb directly into the brickwork; fill the inevitable gaps with expanding foam.

Thanks, I assume the timber will need to overlap each side by 6 inches as usual?

Befor you bring your house down :confused: ensure the joist are not useing that particular wall to support the upstair floor.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back