Adding a new light to existing switch problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am sure this may be answered somewhere in the forum already but I couldn't find it. Apologies if it is. I am a bit of a newb.

I am trying to add a new light pendant to an existing switch. The wiring in the flat all comes from junction boxes. When I add a new light in the conventional method it appears to be splitting the voltage between the two bulbs and causes the energy saving lightbulbs to constantly flicker. What's the way around this? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Which "conventional" method is that?

Whatever it is, you are doing it wrong.

It is unclear what you are trying to do.
Are you adding an additional light to a current light and switch - so that the single switch will now operate two lights together.
If so then you need to link the second ceiling rose by connecting the brown to the line, blue to the neutral and earth to earth on the diagram

Sponsored Links
So you're not connecting the new fitting at the light switch then?

Yes, adding a 2nd light to a current light and switch. I will try your suggestion Riveralt. Cheers

So how were you doing it before?

I really think that it would be greatly in your own best interests if you were to spend a bit of time learning how it all works before attempting to fiddle with it. You've already made a mistake because you didn't know what you were doing. This time the mistake gave you dim/flickering lights, but you are dealing with lethal voltages, and, even with lighting, circuit cables which can deliver more power to make things hot than a single-bar electric fire. Next time you make a mistake you might not be so lucky.

Sorry the method you suggested was one I already did. I think the problem is that only cable I can access is going to original ceiling rose first. So rather than being mains cable direct it has already gone through other light fitting.

If at the moment the switch operates only one light and you wish to add another light from the same switch, then wiring it as I suggested is only the only way to do it - assuming the switch has a standard arrangement.
However, it would help if you could supply photographs of the main ceiling rose, the new second ceiling rose and the switch clearly showing your wiring. Also photo of the inside of this junction box you mentioned.

I don't understand how this isn't working if he's following the diagram. There's only 3 cores to connect after all?

We can't access the junction box at the moment. It is under floor boards and it's difficult to determine the wiring. The way it was originally wired when the single ceiling rose was in only had one cable running to the ceiling rose and one running to the switch so their must be something else hidden that we can't access yet.

We can't access the junction box at the moment. It is under floor boards and it's difficult to determine the wiring. The way it was originally wired when the single ceiling rose was in only had one cable running to the ceiling rose and one running to the switch so their must be something else hidden that we can't access yet.
If the light worked before, then there would have been absolutely no need to alter the previous wiring arrangement. You simply would have added the new cable linking the original ceiling rose to the new ceiling rose - wiring brown to line (switch live) blue to neutral and earth to earth in both the original and new ceiling rose.
If you have altered the original wiring then all bets are off and you will need to think about obtaining a multi-meter and conduct some continuity tests.

Sorry the method you suggested was one I already did.
No it isn't. If it were, then it would have worked, wouldn't it.

I think the problem is that only cable I can access is going to original ceiling rose first. So rather than being mains cable direct it has already gone through other light fitting.
Or it's a switch drop cable.

You cannot just take cables at random, cut into them and connect other things. You must, must, MUST find out exactly what the cable is and what it does, and you must, must, MUST understand what you are doing. Properly understand, not just blindly follow instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without any idea of why.

So we managed to get into the junction box. There are two cables for each light fitting coming out of the junction box. One goes to the switch. The neutral from the switch is then connected to the live of the 2nd cable with a screw block and then runs out to the first ceiling rose.

You really need to photograph what you have found inside the junction box - for example does the switch live (your neutral by description) change from blue to brown in the junction box and onto the first ceiling rose - in which case the brown goes to the live at the first ceiling rose and should be joined by the blue (neutral light) and earth from the jb.
If that is the case and it previously worked then just add a cable joining the first and second ceiling rose with brown to brown blue to blue and earth to earth as I have previously told you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back