Adding a new radiator - bit unsure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are extending the kitchen and would like to add another radiator.

The nearest CH pipe feeds two double radiators in the lounge. It comes down through the ceiling so I assume it feeds other radiators upstairs. All the pipework is hidden under floorboards so not sure where it all runs.

Would there be a problem if we T'd off the pipes that feed the lounge radiators - I had a look at previous posts but couldn't find a definitive answer. I had previously read somewhere that you have to be careful in case you slow the feed to the exisiting radiators.

Is there anway to check whether the pipes would be OK to feed another rad ?

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
A bit more info about the system would be helpful. What boiler is it and how many kw? How many rads are on the system already? What kind of system is it? Normally systems are oversized anyway and an extra rad is ok but requires the system to be rebalanced correctly.

Althoug it's always best to connect directly to the main flow and return netwrok, there is no reason why doing it the way you suggest shouldn't work.

Would have thought it would be ok. Like jonjb said, cud do to hear what size boiler and such but If the system was balanced properly after fitting I cant see a problem

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick response.

The boiler was in the house when we moved in 6 years ago. Very little info on it other than it's a Halstead Buckingham. No idea how old it is. Apart from having a new pump we've done nothing to it and it seems to work well. Probably not at it's peak in efficiency though !

We currently have 5 single radiators and 3 double. None of them are huge.

The heating works well at the moment - hate having to mess with it, but it has to be done. Just want to be sure that we don't cause any problems.

Other than tracing all the pipes back, is there any way to check whether the current pipes will support another radiator ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back