Adding a new socket in the kitchen getting round lack of RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now one of the bedrooms is finished, the next job is looking to be to refit the kitchen. Currently we having to use a extension lead with 1.5mm flex to power the washing machine from a different circuit.

This is how it is wired at the moment:-

1980 - One double socket connected to the ring main.
1970s? - One double socket on the old electrical cooker circuit, it is wired in modern PVC and the wiring looks fine, but we don't know how it is, the spark in 1980 said it was new wiring so it was not worth rewiring that circuit.

The cooker circuit then has a 3 amp FCU feeding the electrics to the boiler. The cooker circuit is effectively a radial and it is no longer powering a cooker as we have a gas one, the old cooker connection was replaced with a double socket.

So can I take a spur of the socket and then fit a new RCD equipped double socket from that spur? I am guessing it will all need to be in a junction box, with a spur for the boiler and a spur for the sockets coming of that but if I am doing down that route, it might be best to get a spark to add in a brand new circuit, but then that will result in a PIR, and new consumer unit etc. We are planning on getting that done but not till next year due to budget reasons.

So to simplify my essay post (sorry ;p). There is a cooker cable wired in what looks like 4mm or 6mm, there is a double socket and FCU which is connected to this, I want to then add another socket to it.

Edit also I realise the cable itself won't have RCD protection, so it won't be berried in the plaster, the cable will go to a socket next to the existing socket so will use trunking and a surface mounted socket.

Sponsored Links
Can be done if using 4mm cable and needs to be 4mm between socket and fcu also.
However all socket outlets require rcd/rcbo regardless of installation method so new rcbo or standalone rcd at db required

Can be done if using 4mm cable and needs to be 4mm between socket and fcu also.
However all socket outlets require rcd/rcbo regardless of installation method so new rcbo or standalone rcd at db required

Or a socket with RCD

Sponsored Links
Would not comply- altering an existing circuit so unless cooker cable buried more than 50 mm then rcd/rcbo required at db as your required to bring it upto 17th amd 1

So ignore the above post

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back