Adding a new telephone socket using outside access?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved into a new house and the phone sockets is in one of the upstairs bedrooms (we'll call 1). I'd also like another socket in another bedroom (we'll call 2). The phone line comes in from an overhead cable to the edge of the roof, and the cable then runs along the front of the house and in through the wall into the bedroom 1. Bedroom 2 is actually closer to the roof point where the cable is attached to the house. The obvious thing to do is fit and external junction box and run a new cable into the bedroom 2. However, I'm assuming this external cable belongs to BT and can't be cut into? So would I need to run another cable from bedroom 1 to bedroom 2 back alongside the existing cable?

I'd prefer and external cable, as the internal route is very awkward. An external route would require one hole in the the wall and the socket fitted inside. It's just the cabling I'm not sure about. Can someone advice? I hope I've described my situation clearly.

Sponsored Links
You are only allowed to provide your own telephone cabling from the master socket. this is usually the first socket and is provided by BT.

If you tap into BT wiring before the master socket and a faukt occurs then you will be in for a large bill when they come to sort out your problem!

If you run the extension wiring outside then you need to use toughened external telephone cable. The regular thin white stuff is not resistant to mechanical damage or sunlight or frost.

You're correct that you're not allowed to mess with BT's cable.

Get some black telephone cable. Connect to pins 2, 3 and 5 at the back of the lower faceplate of the NTE5 socket. Run this to the new socket, which should be a secondary.

Get a proper Krone tool to make the punch-down connections.

Get the proper external rated cable, it's silicone impregnated!!!

Also as said above use a krone tool and connect 2,3 & 5

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys, sounds pretty straightforward (in theory!).

Next problem to solve: find my tools I've packed away...

running internally is better if you can manage it.

But if it has to be outside and you are drilling holes through the wall then drill with a slight slope so the outside end of the hole is lower than the inside end. This will help prevent rain water running across the cavity and into the house along the cable.

On the outside where the cable comes out of the hole take it downwards for about an inch and then turn it to the direction it needs to go. If it is going upward then you have a U turn under the hole. This is called a rain loop (or drip loop ) and stops water running along the cable and into the hole and cavity of the wall.

I've drilled my holes, fitted the cable and extension socket, and sealed the holes up. It appears the dual master socket has two phone lines (there's two phone numbers written on it), so I can't really attach the extension to it until I find out from BT which line I'll be using. But that's all that's left to do, it was a pretty simple job in the end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back