Telephone extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks to a rather helpful SKY engineer I now have a cat 5 and telephone extension in my bedroom. This provides a phone point, and the ability to run SKY anytime plus. At the minute it's just cable coming in along the floor, and he's used the little termination boxes with inbuilt cables to finish it.

I'm planning on fitting an RJ45 wall plate with a phone socket which is no problem, I can do that myself. However I want to use this to run another telephone point to my other bedroom. I have all the cable run already. Can I just run the 2nd extension into the 1st, I.e. into the rear of the new box, effectively connecting it in series?

Sponsored Links
Can I just run the 2nd extension into the 1st, I.e. into the rear of the new box, effectively connecting it in series?
Yes, you can daisy chain phone extensions. The normal Krone punchdown terminals used on phone sockets will take 2 wires each (so one in and another out to the next socket) - however some of the alternatives used on network connectors (and possibly the phone part of a "mixed" faceplate might not.

And try to use the right punchdown tool - even if it's one of those disposable plastic ones. Pushing the wires in with a screwdriver is a good way to get bad connection and knacker the terminals.

Can I just run the 2nd extension into the 1st, I.e. into the rear of the new box, effectively connecting it in series?
Yes, you can daisy chain phone extensions. The normal Krone punchdown terminals used on phone sockets will take 2 wires each (so one in and another out to the next socket) - however some of the alternatives used on network connectors (and possibly the phone part of a "mixed" faceplate might not.

And try to use the right punchdown tool - even if it's one of those disposable plastic ones. Pushing the wires in with a screwdriver is a good way to get bad connection and knacker the terminals.

Thanks Simon,

I have an IDC tool thankfully. I've just tested the SKY engineers extension and that's fine so I'll go ahead and get that wired into the wall plate/box. My cable for the other extension has been run under the floor so just a simple box needed to complete that. Luckily none of my carpets are down yet so it should make for a fairly tidy install.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back