Adding a pool heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thought I would post this and see how many holes get shot in it.

We have a more or less standard open vented heating system kept warm by a Potty Flamingo in a brick lean-to, with the pump, 3 port valve etc. near the centre of the house.

I am considering adding a heat exchanger to heat a small pool. The easiest way I can see to do it is to locate the heat exchanger adjacent to the boiler, and pump the pool water to it using the existing pool filter pump.

For the boiler side, I was considering tapping into the boiler flow and return, and adding another pump to run the pool heater, electrically interlocked with the existing system so it can only run under control of a pool thermostat when there's no domestic hot water or heating demand.

Would this work?
Would I need a 2 port valve on my heat exchanger circuit?

Sponsored Links
I did exactly what you are sugesting to feed an Underfloor circuit in addition to an existing Yplan, you will need to fit a 2 port valve in the circuit to prevent any gravitation, as poolside plastic pipework does not like getting hot!, you will have to interlock the boiler to the existing system probably using a relay so that you do not put a back feed back to the existing control, If I remember, i connected the existing Sw L to feed Relay 1, and connected the pool heat demand to switch relay 2, the Two relays were wired with a N.O. contact in parralell so that whichever relay pulled in first fired the boiler, and the last to drop out stopped the boiler.

Sounds like an interesting project, which should work well :)

I've fittet a few boilers for a local pool installation company and although the boiler is always dedicated to heating the pool, the suggested plan should work well.. Enjoy your pool

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back