Adding a radial circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a radial mains circuit on a 20A MCB. I want to add some more sockets upstairs but can't break into the upstairs ring (on a 32A MCB), can I add the extra sockets on another radial circuit on the same 20A MCB? Or do I put in a fused spur off the existing radial circuit? Or do I create a second upstairs ring off the existing 32A MCB?

Sponsored Links
Some pointers:
can I add the extra sockets on another radial circuit on the same 20A MCB?

Each circuit should have its own protective device so new circuit = new 20A MCB

Or do I put in a fused spur off the existing radial circuit?

Why? you can just add the extra sockets but bear in mind your current limit is 20A

]
Or do I create a second upstairs ring off the existing 32A MCB?

NO! New circuit would have to be on its own breaker.

Please be aware about (Part P)notification re some of this work. New circuits must be notified.

I've got a radial mains circuit on a 20A MCB. I want to add some more sockets upstairs but can't break into the upstairs ring (on a 32A MCB), can I add the extra sockets on another radial circuit on the same 20A MCB?

If you're asking can you add some new sockets upstairs fed from a circuit that at present feeds sockets that aren't upstairs the answer is yes but it's not "good practice"

What does the radial feed at present?

exactly why can't you break into the ring?

it's easy enough to do..

find a cable that is currently part of the ring, cut it and use JB's ( accessible at all times.. ) or crimps to extend the 2 ends to the new sockets, or add sockets at or near the location of the cut to extend the ring from...

Sponsored Links
I can't get to the ring as all cables run up through the ceiling, which is a flat roof, so the only point I can see the cables is at the socket and therefore the only way to get new ones in is through the outside wall.

Getting back to the consumer unit is easy, as is accessing the exiting radial circuit, but I want to add three extra sockets and according to the on site guide you can only put one new socket per spur unless it's fused.

The consumer unit is full so I can't put any more MCBs in it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back