Adding a Radiator - Easy job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i wish to add a Radiator to my system, it only has 6 on it at the moment so it will take it as said by the plumber it will take at least 15. Now i know a little basics.

It's a combi boiler

Now i know you need to cut into the 22mm pipe with 15mm on the flow (hot first) and return and then feed that on the correct vaules on the new rad. Now the whole system is copper can i use plastic pipes and connectors or would it be best to get solder and use copper? Also heard compression joints are very good aswell, but what pipes are used with this?

I'm right in thinking that i need to flush the system first or is there a way i can get around this?

I'm gonna do alot of reading before i go at this but wanna cover everything before i start.

Many thanks for any help offered.

Also looked for a refrence on this and there is not one, is there?

sorry for all the questions

Sponsored Links
It's a relatively easy job if you have all the tools and fittings you need before you start.

Depending on where the new radiator is to go, and assuming you do not have microbore, you may find it easier to feed the new rad from the flow and return to an existing rad as opposed to the 22mm backbone. Generally speaking 15mm can heat up to 3 radiators.

You can use plastic pipe and fittings as long as they are 1 metre away from the boiler. You can also use a combination of brass compresssion fittings and plastic pipe, which may be better. Either way, make sure thay you use the plastic inserts.

By flush the system I think you mean drain - this is essential but do not use the pressure relief valve to empty the system.

If you have not done this before I would allow a day to do the job and don't start unless you know there is a nearby shop open that stocks any parts you might potentially need.

One further thing, I would use the 1-wrap PTFE (gas tape) for the radiator valves rather that the much thinner normal PTFE.

Best of luck.

Thanks for your post, I need the radiator in the hall and the 22mm is above it running the rads upstairs, there is no 15mm near by (within 10m of wall space anway) so think it would be best to cut into the 22mm.

The only thing that i need to read more on is how to drain the system (sorry every doc i've read says flushed).

I knew about the PTFE tape but thanks for the tip about the gas kind.

The plumber who did my boiler used this glue sort of stuff is that any good?

Sponsored Links
To drain look for a t off the radiator pipes downstairs which would accept a garden hose with a small square control which accepts an 8mm spanner. Put dust sheet down attach hose run outside open valve. Might be stuck, remove completely outer gland ring if fitted undo fully square biut and remove, grip jumper bit with nose grip pliers and pull it out followed quickly by thumb. Have an assistant's thumb ready.

Go upstairs start opening bleed valves on rads as they allow you, move downstairs repeat.

Sort out the drain off, may be necessary to buy new one same type and just use it's innards.

Do your job, close bleed valves, make sure auto air vent dust cap in combi is undone one turn. Fill to 2 bar. Start bleeding rads, returning to top up boiler ever two rads. From this experience anticipate whether last two or just last one rad is sufficient to allow pressure to drop to 1 to 1.5 bar.
Bleed pump.

Start boiler, listen for air water wooshing round, switch off and restart often quite a few times without leting boiler light until the wooshing sound becomes more healthy sounding. Boiler will hopefully prime itself and system in this way. Check if any of the air wooshing round found it';s way to a radiator, usually one gets it. Re top up as required, now let the boiler light, switch over to hot water and back to heating a few times may be necessary for full air purging with some boilers.

Check for leaks.

If no drain off and it's ground floor, go under and cut a pipe, then fit a drain off. We have a 3/4 femnale to 15mm adapter which we put on a rad valve after removal of rad for draioning down, and use same point for powerflushing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back