Adding a RCD to my shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently the shower is fed from a seperate single way consumer unit with a 40amp fuse. This is then connected to the input side of the main CU.

Now I was thinking that I could just replace this consumer unit with a 40A RCD in an enclosure

Problem is the input comes in from the bottom and output is from the top. The new RCD i bought was it the other way round and there isn't enough slack in the cable to change it.

The RCD is a clipsall and doesn't mention supply/load on the terminals rather 1/N and 2/N. Anychance I could use it with the supply on the 2/N side and the load on the 1/N side?

Other optiosn i can think of are to mount upside down or connect after the shower CU just inline rather than instead of.

Cheers Jay

Sponsored Links
You can't replace an MCB with an RCD. The shower will require overcurrent protection. Perhaps you meant RCBO instead of RCD?

Most RCDs dont care which end the supply comes from. The instructions that come with it usually say this.

Why dont u wire it up the way u intend to use it and run a standard RCD test on it. If it complies with the spec you are OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back