Adding a speaker between isolator switch and extractor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to add a speaker in the bathroom to the lighting/extractor circuit. (Low power, sealed for humidity.) Can I add a junction box between the isolator switch (its in the hallway) and the fan to run a cable to the speaker?

Thanks, Kp

Sponsored Links
Or if there's a toilet in there, EngleBATH HUMper tinkle?

Anyway - kpm - what makes the fan turn on and off?

Extractor doesn't get used, I'm thinking more from a regulation/blow things up point of view.

Sponsored Links
what exactly are you trying to do with this 'speaker'?

speakers are not designed to be connected to the mains :evil:

Oh right.

It would be neater to run a cable from the fan switch rather than having junction boxes about the place.

Would I need to tell anyone if I piggybacked the switch or the cable between the switch and the extractor?

No, but why are you still considering the latter - thought you'd agreed there'd be no power there?

If you do put a join in the cable it should either be accessible for testing/inspection/maintenance, or it should be a maintenance-free type.

There may be no power at the isolation switch either, or at least not always. But you won't tell us what makes the fan come on.

It does work but I was indulging you. We just don't use it, never have, we don't have a shower in there and don't run water hot enough to steam up. No mould or cracked paint in five years.

Humidity sensor and timer, it also has a pull cord. Sorry didn't realise there were different types, it just looks like a standard white box extractor fan. My bad.

Humidity sensor and timer, it also has a pull cord. Sorry didn't realise there were different types, it just looks like a standard white box extractor fan. My bad.
I suspect he mainly wanted to know whether or not it was activated by the light switch - and, from what you now say, I presume the answer is 'no'.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back