Adding additional downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have 6 downlights in my kitchen I want to add an additional 2 downlights, my questions are:

The run ends at the opposite end I want the addition lights, so can I take the wire from the middle of the run?

If the answer is yes to the previous question I need to do this twice as there is a joist in the middle of the run is that acceptable?

What size wire is best to use for gu10 downlights 1mm or 1.5mm?

Is it within laws for me to do this work myself or is an electrician required?

Sponsored Links
You can do it. 1mm² cable is fine.
You can join anywhere in the circuit that you like. At either end, in the middle, anywhere.

PS make sure you carry the earth connection through to the new lights, even if they do not have an earth connection.

Thanks for the reply @Taylortwocities, I dont quite understand what you mean by carry the earth through im going to use twin and earth cable from 1 existing light to another cab you explain what you mean by that please.

Do your light fittings have an earth terminal as well as live and neutral terminals ?

Sponsored Links
Do just as you say. The earth must be used. I only mentioned it because many folk look at a downlight, see two terminals and either use 2-core cable or go not extend the earth(CPC) through to the end point.

Great advice cheers @Taylortwocities I didnt know that to be honest, just out of interest why to you extend the earth to the end point even if its a plastic fitting is it incase someone touches a live wire on that particular light?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back