Adding CCTV system to Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
been reading lots of threads on here for months but thought about time I took the plunge and asked my own question.

I have a CCTV system with is currently just plugged into the ring main in my garage which runs off a single RCD Consumer Unit.

Im often away at weekends and a couple of times now I have returned to find there has been a fault in the garage somewhere and the RCD has tripped and turned the power off including of course my CCTV.

In the New Year I will be getting a spark to alter the set-up so the CCTV is on its own circuit and in turn if there is a fault the CCTV will remain on if the RCD in the CU trips.

I would like to ask your opinion for the simplist way to acheive this set-up, before my spark goes and suggests a more costly method (which he had done before) and which isn't needed.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

I will be geting him to look in the fault as well.

Just was thinking for added security, I would get it put on a seperate circuit so if any anything caused the RCD to trip it will still leave the CCTV switched on.

An FCU on it's own radial circuit should be ok to be kept off the RCD

Sponsored Links
Or a consumer unit with an RCBO for each circuit, what's the budget and how many circuits?

Thank for the replies so far.

My budget is fairly low in afraid.

The current set-up is on a Contactum single RCD 6way baord with the following:

2x 6A for 12 140W Flourescent Lights (6x on each MCB)
1x 32A for sockets
1x 10A for 3 100W Flourescent lights in a side building (supplied by 1.5mm T&E, attached to building framework)
1 x 20A for sockets in side building (supplied by 2.5mm T&E, attached to framework)
1 x SPARE

RF,
just noticed your reply.

As my CU isn't split load, would I be right in thinking it would need to get the spark to change it to a split load to enable the new radial to be installed without the RCD protection?

Yes it would need changing to either split load or a main switch and RCBO combo.

If CCTV is that important to you, you should give strong consideration to a UPS.

Fix the nuisance tripping, install a UPS.

If cost wasn't a issue, then I think I would.

For the meantime its just getting the wiring updated which should keep it from tripping.

Had a look into a board with all RCBO's and seems would be a good idea, so at least will only take out one circuit if a fault happens.

Will get my electrician to price the different options and see whats the best way forward.

Had a look into a board with all RCBO's and seems would be a good idea, so at least will only take out one circuit if a fault happens.
Especially including taking out all the lights !
Having to navigate across a "potentially cluttered" garage in complete darkness isn't a lot of fun, and given the number of lights, I'm guessing it's a not a small garage where you could almost reach the CU from anywhere within it.

As a side note, rather than a UPS, if your CCTV kit all runs from 12V (via adapters) then it may be possible to run it all from a 12V battery kept charged - but unfortunately the sort of supply needed can cost as much as a small UPS. The sort you need is often sold for use in caravans and such (though they are usually a bit OTT power wise for just a CCTV system).
But if you come across the right bits at the right price second hand then that can cut the cost dramatically.

Simon,

Could you direct me to any sites that would supply a suitable small UPS.

When I did a google search all I can seem to find is very complex systems which Im sure I wouldnt need.

Thanks in advance.

Just a selection ...

http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer...ninterruptible-power-supplies-for-computer-pc

http://cpc.farnell.com/ups-uninterruptible-power-supplies

http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Servers/cat/UPS

You'll see that there are many types - most of the small ones are "offline" or "line interactive" which means the load runs direct from the mains while power is available, and the inverter starts up quickly to take over if the power fails.

And then some of the manufacturers have online selectors to allow you to pick the right one (of their) products. Eg for APC :
http://www.apc.com/products/category.cfm?id=13

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back