adding ciling lights from existing rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, want to add two 50w ceiling recessed spots (the halogen types) into the bedroom.

Can i just tap into the existing supply at the current ceiling light, and take the supply to the new lights?
Ie, id parallel into the existing light, off to the first additional extra light, then on to the other one. I'm using 1.0mm cable.

Sound okay? or do i need a spur etc?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sounding OK - as long as the lighting circuit isn't loaded up to the max and can take an additional 100w.
Make sure you use proper junction boxes for any joins in the cable. Make sure the insulation is well away from the new lights - the instruction book with the lights should detail this.
Have you considered the CFL version (low energy)?

i was just going to add the wire at the existing light fitting, and not use any junction boxes? or do i need to split it before this, and add a junction box...

You can connect one end of the first wire to the ceiling rose, the other end of this wire will need to go to a junction box like this clicky, from here you'll need to connect the cable to the 2nd light and a short cable to the 1st light.
Unless of course there is room to connect 2 x1 mm twin and earths into the first light fitting.

Sponsored Links
If there's room.

That's the problem, adi - without seeing the light the only advice we know will be good is to use a JB, as we can't be sure that the light will take 2 sets of cables...

i've easily fitted the two cables into the first downlight, there was enough room, and its neatly done.

So, the cable easily hops from the first to the second. The cable run would be...

supply >existing ceiling light > first downlight > second downlight

The issue is really at the other end, where i'm tapping into the 'existing ceiling light'. I believe there is currently enough room for the new cable to go through the ceiling and into the choc block of the existing light fitting. But, i'm wondering if this is okay to do? Or, should i fit a junction box on the wiring of the the current ceiling light cable, and wire the new downlight cable in to that?

existing supply > junction box > split supply to new downlighters AND existing light

Thanks for the help...

PS changing the halogens to CFL's. Dont like the idea of all that heat.

The issue is really at the other end, where i'm tapping into the 'existing ceiling light'. I believe there is currently enough room for the new cable to go through the ceiling and into the choc block of the existing light fitting. But, i'm wondering if this is okay to do?
If there's room it's OK.

If there isn't it's not.

Can you post a couple of photographs of what you have?
A junction box at the 1st new light will mean you only have to deal with one cable at the light, personally I'd do that as it means when you replace it if there isn't room for 2 cables in the new light it doesn't matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back