Adding 5 ceiling lights to existing rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys - probably been asked before sorry if it has

Gonna remove my existing single kitchen ceiling light - use the rose as a

supply to 5 recessed kitchen lights.

Is it right to wire the first light to the rose, then from the first light to the

second light etc ? - obviously in parallel

Just wanna make sure since it was suggested to run each light back to the

rose !

Sponsored Links
Gonna remove my existing single kitchen ceiling light - use the rose as a

supply to 5 recessed kitchen lights.
Does the fact that you are having to replace one light with 5 not tell you that there is something wrong with how those recessed lights actually perform?

What's above the kitchen ceiling?

And are you aware that this work is notifiable, and that you might at some point be asked to provide proof that you got Building Regulations approval and sign-off for it?

Sponsored Links
Also, what will happen to the rose?
I hope that you are leaving it where it is so it can still be accessed?

Perhaps the existing rose wiring can be positioned at one of the new downlighters.

Here the wiring can be jointed in a junction box; and will be accessible by removing the downlighter.

Don't be tempted to use the old ceiling rose as a junction box above the ceiling.

thanks for the replies guys

The cielings being dropped 5 inches and plaster boarded

the existing rose can be accessed from above through the upstairs

floarboards

what I think is the best bet is add an accessible junction box and feed the

lights seperately from that - what do you think !

you can't have JB's under a floor, there is simply no way to guarantee that you will still be able to get access to it.. you might end up with laminate flooring or tiling etc put down..

so you'll have to re-route it so that it can be connected into a JB that can be withdrawn through the downlight hole..

also, dropping the ceiling by 5 inches doesn't leave much room for the downlight unless you remove the existing ceiling plasterboards making the void bigger.

View media item 11287

Without a doubt you should look at replacing the ceiling rose with something like this. Leaving the existing rose in place as a junction box hidden behind a false ceiling is rough to say the least.

Does the fact that you are having to replace one light with 5 not tell you that there is something wrong with how those recessed lights actually perform?

Maybe s/he wants 5 because the existing 1 isn't up to the job!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back