Adding drainage to existing concrete slab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a bit of a conundrum and was hoping to get some ideas from the combined minds of DIYnot forum. I have built a log cabin on a newly laid concrete base. At one corner, shown in the attached picture, the base is not to the exact footprint of the log cabin and it collects water into quite a deep puddle (~1cm). I've gone to town with sealant and created a 90% water tight seal, but this feels like a botch and one which won't age well, so I'd like a permanent fix - i.e. preventing the puddle from forming in the first place.

The options I've come up with are:
  1. Create a drainage channel (along red line probably) - however I'm not sure how achievable this is with the tools I have (hammer drill / chisel).
  2. Build-up the concrete into the corner by 1 cm, with a drop towards the edge of the existing concrete - however I'm not sure how new concrete will seal against the black plastic edge and the (surface treated :( ) original concrete base.
Any more ideas, or hints & tips on achieving 1 & 2 above?

Thanks
James

Attachments

• 20210914_162714_resized.jpg
    20210914_162714_resized.jpg
    503.5 KB · Views: 139
Sponsored Links
Might be nice / easiest to build a little roof over this area.

I was going to ask, is there a gutter on that side?

Although it would be a pretty quick job to borrow an angle grinder and diamond masonry disc to score some channels.

Yes I did consider this but it seemed like overkill. It's the furthest corner of the garden, so completely hidden from view.

Sponsored Links
I was going to ask, is there a gutter on that side?

Although it would be a pretty quick job to borrow an angle grinder and diamond masonry disc to score some channels.

There's gutter over the short side of the rectangle (direction of seepage), but not above the long side. Why do you ask?

Having googled "cutting concrete with an angle grinder", I'm definitely erring towards adding a drainage channel vs. adding height. I've never used one, but a friend owns one...

There's gutter over the short side of the rectangle (direction of seepage), but not above the long side. Why do you ask?
I was just wondering where the fall of the roof went. If there was no gutter or upstand, a larger surface area collection of rain water could possibly end up on that small patch of concrete - if you see what I mean!

Using an angle grinder is pretty straight forward. You may want to practice on a spare slab first, and make sure you have the right safety gear, goggles cut resistant gloves and ear-defenders. All absolutely necessary with an angle grinder!
It will also be dusty, keep a hose handy to dampen down.
Good luck :)

I was just wondering where the fall of the roof went. If there was no gutter or upstand, a larger surface area collection of rain water could possibly end up on that small patch of concrete - if you see what I mean!

Got it, yes the whole roof area is draining into guttering. It's only in torrential rain that water really collects in that corner... but then torrential seems to be a regular occurrence lately.

Using an angle grinder is pretty straight forward. You may want to practice on a spare slab first, and make sure you have the right safety gear, goggles cut resistant gloves and ear-defenders. All absolutely necessary with an angle grinder!
It will also be dusty, keep a hose handy to dampen down.
Good luck :)

Thanks, I have plenty of concrete in the garden that needs breaking to practice on!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back