Adding earthing to light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We're in the middle of redecorating our kitchen and would like to replace the white plastic light switch with a metal faceplate dimmer (non-double insulated)

Obviously this needs to be earth so imagine my joy when removing the old switch I found that the earth wire has been snipped back to the main sheath i.e. no earthing.

What are my options for providing a suitable earth to this switch? Can I run earth to a nearby mains outlet? Can I use an earth clamp on nearby (<2 inches) central heating pipe (there is no plastic piping in use)

Is it possible to test if the earth wire in the cabling going up the wall does in fact go somewhere?

Or am I left with an ugly white light switch? Rewiring isn't an option unfortunately.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Use a proper test indicator or a multimeter. You should be able to measure 230v between the earth conductor and live.
That should give you a reasonable indication that the earth is there.

Best then is either try and jiggle the cable down the wall a bit or chase back up, then crimp on a length of earth wire.

Use a proper test indicator or a multimeter. You should be able to measure 230v between the earth conductor and live.
That should give you a reasonable indication that the earth is there.

Best then is either try and jiggle the cable down the wall a bit or chase back up, then crimp on a length of earth wire.

Thanks for the response, will see what I can do.

Is earthing to the pipe / other mains socket a no-no?

Sponsored Links
So can you confirm that both

- bonding to hot water pipe
- running earth to mains circuit

are not an option?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back