Earth question in a 4 gang switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of changing a white plastic switch to a steel satin finish one. The wires that come down are 4 sets of twin wires for 4 lights. No earth. The earth is up in the ceiling roses for each light. There is a earth connector on the new switch. Does it need to be connected as its a steel switch?

Sponsored Links
Yes it does need to be earthed, are you sure the cables in the switch are 2 core & not t & e with the earth cut off?

There isn't an earth so what do I do as I dont fancy channelling the wall out?

Sponsored Links
Does it matter where I get the earth from? I've got an earth wire going to a switch the other side of the wall in a different room. Can I steal an earth from there or is that illegal?

My reason being that I've already bought all the new sockets etc in a Steel satin finish and I want to put the 4 gang switch one on to match rather than a white plastic one.

There definietely isn't an earth there. The wires were in before we ever moved here seven years ago. They seemed to have twin core cables just in this light switch. I've checked others around the house and they seem ok.

Is it ok to take an earth from the switch in the other room just the other side of the wall or not ?

Its better to have an earth than no earth though and as all the earths end in the same place then it shouldn't matter should it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back