Wiring new lights.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My brother made an attempt to change his lights but could not complete the job and has now left it to me. The cables were left hanging bare without identificatio so I had to make heads and tails of it.
This is the situation,

There are two ceiling rose in the lounge. The first one has 4 sets of cable, three twin and Earths and one Four core cable.
The second rose has one four core, and a twin and Earth.
Both lights operate from their own one way two gang switch.
The 4 core runs from one rose to the other. Now on the first rose I have tested to see which cable is the main feed, and also the switch. That leaves one twin/earth and a 4core which runs to the second.
I have wired the new lights but only to the affect that they both turn on at the same time, leaving the other switch redunant?
There is no fan in the connected that would need a 4core?

My question is what is the purpose of the 4 core and how can I terminate it to its origonal state??
Please help.

Sponsored Links
Hello,
Maybe the sparky who wired the circuit originally ran out of twin and put in some 3 core instead !
The way to crack your problem is to disconnect everything and find your incoming (and it sounds like outgoing )feed at the first lighting point, connect them and check that other lights on the circuit all work, then you can use the 3core and earth to feed the second lighting point. Then, all you need do is connect up your switch lines.
I hope that this makes sense to you.
This is how I would go about sorting it, but believe me I have seen some wiring that has been connected in such complicated and confusing ways that nothing suprises me anymore.
Best of luck and work safe.

chrismorton said:
Both lights operate from their own one way two gang switch.

This is ambiguous...

How many switches are there that operate the lights?

What cable/s are there in the switches?

Maybe the sparky who wired the circuit originally ran out of twin and put in some 3 core instead !

Thats what I thought but I have seen similar to this before.

then you can use the 3core and earth to feed the second lighting point. Then, all you need do is connect up your switch lines.
I hope that this makes sense to you.

Do you mean terminate the 3core from the original light LIVE NEUTRAL and EARTH but leave the Yellow cable loose., and then use the twin and Earth as the Switch.

How many switches are there that operate the lights? What cable/s are there in the switches

The switches are twin and Earth with the switched live sleeved red. Both lights are operated at one end of the lounge via a one way switch each together in a 2 gang switch.

Sponsored Links
Sorry Chris, yes that is I meant, (use the yellow and sleeve it if you wish, so long as you do the same thing at both ends of the cable ! ).

Let us know if it works ok, it's late, so sorry about the brief reply.

Thanks guys I have now got it working. However I am still interesting n knowing if the their could actually be a valid purpose for the 4core?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back